This Cajun Chicken is an easy one dish dinner that is SUPER creamy and delicious! If you love Cajun flavors and a little kick in your meal, you will love this easy chicken dinner. It packs in all of the traditional Cajun spices into a creamy sauce that smothers the tender chicken breast and bakes to perfection. Creamy Cajun Chicken is not only easy and delicious , but it is also naturally gluten free and low carb, so it is perfect for many special dietary needs.
This post is sponsored by T-Mobile and their T-Mobile ONE Military phone plan. The content and opinions expressed here are that of The Pinning Mama.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Recipe
My husband’s military career has taken us all over the United States and the world, but currently we are stationed in the panhandle of Florida. This area is so familiar with its southern ways, but also so different with it’s coastal feel than anywhere we have ever lived.
One of the things that I love about the area is that it has so many different cultural influences and with Louisiana being so close, many of the creole flavors are found on menus all around town here. I have never lived anywhere with quite so strong of a Cajun influence, but as a lover of strong flavors and food with a kick, I am 100% on board!
One of my favorite restaurant dishes is Cajun Chicken Pasta. It has all of the delicious Cajun flavors blended into cream sauce and served over peppers, chicken, and pasta. This dish is AMAZING, but a bit indulgent too.
The Creamy Cajun Chicken recipe I am sharing today is inspired by my most recent love of these flavors, but makes the meal about 1000x easier, and totally doable for a quick, easy, and DELICIOUS week night meal.
One of the things I hear most when talking with my non-military friends is, “I don’t know how you do it! I could never move around so much!” And let me tell you, there are some great adventures with this lifestyle like getting to see first hand the cultures and flavors of the world, but it is not easy!
The one thing that I am most thankful for is our ability to stay connected to our family back home, and our friends that we leave at each assignment as we move around the country.
I have mentioned the T-Mobile Military One plan a couple of times now, but I have had so many great responses and feedback from my readers (YOU GUYS!) that I wanted to mention it again, for those of you who may be new here, or missed it last time.
We found out about the plan about a year ago, while we were stationed in Rhode Island, when the chatter in the military community started going nuts with people who had switched and SUBSTANTIALLY cut their cell phone bills. We looked into it and found the same would be true for us! We would be able to not only save quite a bit of money each month, but also get so many more extras on our plan.
Options start at up to half off their regular T-Mobile ONE pricing for military members, veterans and their families. Plus it includes loads of extras including, but not limited to:
- Free standard Netflix subscription
- Mobile hotspot data included
- In-flight texting +1 hour of data on all Gogo®-enabled domestic flights
- Unlimited streaming entertainment at 480p
- Included data and text in over 210 countries and destinations worldwide
- Taxes and fees are included so there are no surprise bills
T-Mobile also always has special promotions, so if you have been eyeing that new iPhone, T-Mobile announced two new promos for the new year, such as getting a free iPhone (up to $750 off, via monthly bill credits) when you add a line and trade-in a qualifying device. Also, you can get up to $390 off an Apple iPhone XR, XS or XS Max, or up to $360 off an Apple iPhone X, 8 or 8 Plus (via monthly bill credits). These are just a couple of the ways they make it easy to switch, so check the current deals and see if a shiny new phone might be in your future!
And to top it all off, no one is faster or has more LTE availability than T-Mobile. So no matter where you get stationed, or the military sends you, T-Mobile will have it covered! You can check the coverage map here!
If you are military or a veteran, it is worth looking to see if you would get the same sort of savings and benefits we found! You can see the details on the Military One plan here.
I got a little excited because I love passing on amazing deals, but now back to the chicken!
How to Serve Cajun Chicken
This Cajun Chicken is perfectly simple to make, and when paired with a couple of basic sides, it makes a great well rounded meal. It goes well with a lot of things, but I will share a few of my favorite classic sides, as well as low carb sides for keeping it lighter.
Classic Sides to Serve with Cajun Chicken
- Mashed Potatoes- I love these easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Bread- Serve it on the side, or right on top of a big slice.
- Baked Potatoes
- Rice- Try wild rice or a traditional red beans and rice
- Cheese Grits
Low Carb Sides to Serve with Cajun Chicken
- Cauliflower Rice
- Zoodles- I think zucchini or carrot would pair especially well
- Side Salad- Put some of my homemade ranch on top
- Sautéed Spinach– Pictured above, this is my go to way to serve this for a low carb meal.
- Roasted veggies- Something with a southern flair like Okra, or any of your favorites!
How to Make Cajun Chicken
This Creamy Cajun Chicken is super easy to make. I will go over the main steps here with a few tips and tricks, but make sure to get the FULL printable recipe card and nutrition info at the bottom of this post.
- First mix up the creamy cajun topping by combing the cream cheese, sour cream and seasonings. Then fold in the chopped peppers to the mixture.
- You can use regular or light cream cheese, but fat free will not work in this recipe since it doesn’t melt well.
- Cajun seasoning can be store bought on the spice aisle, or I HIGHLY recommend trying my Homemade Cajun seasoning here. It is super easy to make and absolutely perfect for this dish! If you want to ensure it is gluten free, you will also want to use homemade seasoning.
- Lay the chicken in a casserole dish. Cover with the cream cheese mixture, then top with the cheese.
- This dish works best when thin chicken breasts are used. It allows them to cook more quickly and evenly. If your chicken is normal to thick, I recommend butterflying it, or slicing it horizontally lengthwise so that each piece is flat and half the thickness.
- You can also use other cuts of boneless, skinless, chicken like chicken thighs, tenderloins, etc. Cooking time will vary based on the size of the cut you use.
- Bake the chicken at 375˚F on the middle rack for 25-35 minutes or until it has an internal temperature of 165˚F. Remove and cover with chopped green onions.
- I do not cover my chicken with foil, however, each oven cooks differently depending on size, heating element, climate etc. If you notice the cheese starting to brown more than desired, loosely cover the dish with foil for the remainder of the cook time.
- If you have an electric thermometer it is the easiest way to make sure your chicken is cooked perfectly. The number one reason for tough, chewy chicken is that the chicken is over cooked. Electric thermometers are inexpensive and can be found at most super-stores or Amazon
What to do with Cajun Chicken Leftovers
If you have any leftovers, these reheat really well, and can be used to make other dishes. You can store the leftover Cajun Chicken in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. I like to portion it into meal sized portions for easy meal prep for lunches.
How to Freeze Cajun Chicken
To freeze Cajun Chicken before cooking
- Mix the cream cheese mixture and store in an air tight container.
- Freeze chicken separately.
- When ready to bake, thaw chicken and cream cheese mixture, then mix cream cheese mixture well and continue at step 2, placing the chicken in the dish and spreading the mixture over the top, then bake as directed.
To freeze Cajun Chicken after baking
- Divide the Cajun Chicken in meal sized portions, then place each in an air tight container and freeze for up to a month.
- When ready to eat, thaw the chicken for 24 hours in the refrigerator, or heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, then on 30 second increments, stirring in between, until it is heated through.
Other Meals to Make with Cajun Chicken
Use your Cajun Chicken leftovers to make a completely new meal.
- Cajun Chicken Tostadas- Chop up leftover chicken and place it on a tostada shell with some smashed red beans and cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, then top with lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.
- Cajun Chicken Baked Subs- Slice the cajun chicken and place in hoagie rolls sliced lengthwise. Add in banana peppers, olives, more bell pepper, or your favorite toppings, then some extra cheese and bake until heated through. Top with lettuce and chopped tomatoes.
- Cajun Chicken Stuffed Peppers- Chop the leftover Cajun Chicken and mix it in a 1:1 ratio with rice or cauliflower rice. Then stuff the mixture into bell peppers with the tops cut off. Top the peppers with cheese. Place standing upright in a baking dish and fill with 1 cup of chicken broth. Cover the dish with foil and bake 40-50 minutes or until the peppers are soft.
- Cajun Chicken Zucchini Boats- Chop leftover Cajun Chicken and mix with rinsed black beans. Split zucchini squash in half and hollow out the middle. Fill with chicken mixture and top with a little extra cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and the chicken is heated through.
If you love this recipe, you may enjoy some of our other Easy Chicken Recipes:
I hope that you get a chance to try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do! We talked about a lot today, but don’t forget to check out the T-Mobile Military offerings or pass it on to your friends and family who are active duty or veterans as well.
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Creamy Cajun Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning (see note)
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic pressed
- 1/2 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- 3 green onions chopped
- Mix softened cream cheese, sour cream, cajun seasoning and garlic until combined. Fold in the chopped peppers until evenly distributed.
- Lay the chicken flat in a large baking dish. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle the colby jack cheese on top.
- Bake at 375˚F for 25-35 minutes or until chicken is done (internal temperature of 165˚F). Remove from oven and sprinkle the chopped green onion over the top. Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
- Dish works best if thin chicken breasts are used. If yours are normal to thick, consider slicing them lengthwise so that you have 2 pieces that are half as thick.
- Cajun seasoning can be store bought or homemade. Find the BEST Cajun seasoning recipe here. If you are gluten free, use the homemade seasoning.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Recipe is naturally gluten free and low carb when using homemade seasoning. Check any products used to make sure of compliance.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 The Pinning Mama- Recipe found at: https://www.thepinningmama.com/creamy-cajun-chicken/
For more great easy dinner inspiration, sign up for our emails here!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)