These Crockpot Chicken Tacos are so delicious and super EASY to make. They only have a few ingredients and cook in the crockpot for a few hours, so you are free to do what you need throughout the day. These shredded chicken tacos are a real crowd pleaser between the green chiles, spices, and creamy cheese… you have just taken taco night up to a whole new level! Get ready for Taco Tuesday, because these slow cooker tacos are a meal that adults will enjoy as much as the kids!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos Recipe
My crockpot is one of my favorite things in my kitchen. I use it a lot during the week and especially on nights that my kids have events that I have to run them to all afternoon. Busy weeknights become a little bit more managable when I can throw dinner in the slow cooker.
The other, maybe less obvious, reason I love crockpot cooking is that you can make a big batch of meat in it and once it is done you can serve it as is the first night, then use it to make other meals throughout the week or month if you freeze it. Then dinner becomes waaaaaaaay easier when you already have the meat for the next meal prepped, cooked, and ready to go. Since the following meals are dressed up as different dishes the family doesn’t feel like they are just eating leftovers.
These Green Chile Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos came from my Crock Pot Green Chile Chicken recipehere. I have several more easy dinners I will be sharing with this chicken as we go on, so make sure and sign up for my e-mails so you can collect all of the ways to use it as I post them!
How to serve Crockpot Chicken Tacos
One of my kids favorite thing is Taco Tuesday! They look forward to Tuesdays every week. I like to change it up and these are just the perfect recipe. To serve these I like to set everything out on the table and let everyone make their own so they get exactly what they want. As a bonus, my kids eat better when they have a hand in making their meal.
First start with your choice of a shell, some of our favorites are:
- Crunchy taco shells
- Flour tortillas
- Tostada shells
- Corn tortillas
- Lettuce wrap (low carb option)
Crockpot Chicken Taco Toppings
I have listed a large number of toppings, this is just for ideas. We usually choose 3-5 to serve on the table. If you are entertaining and want to add more, feel free, options are always nice.
- Pico de Gallo
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Black beans
- Chopped green onions
- Extra green chiles
What to serve with Crockpot Chicken Tacos
We generally like to eat our tacos with one of these sides. You can ‘t go wrong with any of these delicious dishes. I also put limes on the side to squeeze on top of the taco.
Low Carb Sides
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Side salad
- Guacamole and salsa with pepper strips, or carrot chips
If I missed a favorite side, let me know in the comments so I can try it out!
How to make Chicken Tacos
These delicious shredded chicken tacos are super simple to make! In only a few steps you have tacos ready to go!
- Combine the chicken, spices and green chiles in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low until the chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken then return it to the crockpot with the cream cheese and mix together.
- Place the chicken taco meat, toppings, and hard or soft shells out and let everyone make their tacos!
I am going to try and answer some of the frequently asked questions on this chicken taco recipe below. You can scroll down to the bottom of this post for a printable recipe card with full instructions. If you still have questions after reading through this section, feel free to leave me a note in the comments below and I will try to get back to you soon!
Can I use chicken thighs or other cuts of chicken in this recipe?
Yes, you can use most any cut of boneless skinless chicken you like best in this recipe including chicken thighs and chicken tenderloins. The cooking time may be changed if a different cut is used.
Can I leave out the cream cheese in this taco recipe?
I think the most delicious way to make this is with the cream cheese, but if you are looking for a dairy free, or lighter version, then it is possible. You can shred the chicken and then drain any excess juice and use it as pulled chicken in the tacos.
What do you recommend for taco shells?
There are a variety of options you can use for taco shells. We most often use flour tortillas for these because it is what my kids prefer. You can also use hard shells, corn tortillas, or lettuce leaves.
Are these tacos gluten free?
Yes! These meat in the tacos are gluten free. You just need to make sure to choose gluten free shells. Many corn tortillas are gluten free. Make sure you read the labels to verify gluten free on all ingredients you use in the recipe
Can these Crockpot Chicken Tacos be low carb?
Yes, this recipe is low carb as long as you use a lettuce leaf as your shell. Then load on all your favorite topping and you have a delicious taco.
What to do with Crockpot Chicken Leftovers
I really love leftovers, but these are so delicious you might not have any. Here are a few ideas of what to do with the leftover crockpot taco meat.
- Nacos- Load up tortilla chips with your favorite topping such as beans, corn, bell pepper, and chicken. Bake at 425 or 10 min or until these is melted. Top with salsa, guacamole, and pico de gallo.
- Crockpot Chicken Taco salad- Use all of your leftover taco toppings and pile them high on a bed of lettuce. My favorite lettuce is romaine, or a mix of romaine and spring mix. You can drizzle on this homemade ranch dressing for a real treat!
- Crockpot Chicken Burrito Bowls- Start with a base of rice and beans and then pile on the crockpot chicken taco meat, and all of your favorite toppings.
How to store Crockpot Chicken Tacos
I recommend storing the meat, shells, and each topping separately. Assembled tacos will not store well. You can keep the meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to freeze Crockpot Chicken Tacos
You can freeze the meat before or after cooking and make the toppings fresh when you serve the tacos. Just simply place the chicken in an air tight container for up to one month.
I really hope your family enjoys these Crockpot Chicken Tacos for Taco Tuesday as much as my family does!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipesso that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Yield 12 servings
You will love every bite you take of these crockpot chicken tacos. They are flavored with green chiles, cumin, and garlic and then made extra special with the addition of cream cheese. You can pile the toppings on these tacos or even make them a great low carb friendly meal.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 2- 4.5 oz cans chopped green chiles (I prefer Old El Paso)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1- 8oz package Philadelphia cream cheese
- 12 taco shells (an entire recipe of the chicken should make about 12-15 tacos)
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour cream
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Extra green chiles
- Lay the chicken breasts flat on the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with the green chilis, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cover and set to low for 4.5 hours.
- At 4.5 hours, open the lid and use forks to shred the chicken and mix it with the juices. Then lay the cream cheese on top of the shredded chicken and replace the lid and continue to cook on low for 30 more minutes.
- Place the taco shells, meat mixture, and topping options out on the table and let everyone add toppings as desired. Enjoy!
- To store any leftovers of the Green Chile Chicken, place in an airtight container and store in:
- the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- the freezer for up to a month.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 The Pinning Mama- Recipes found at https://wp.me/p3dURh-4gf
For more great easy dinner inspiration,sign up for our emails here!
Serving Size 1 Taco
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Unsaturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 63 mg
Sodium 320 mg
Total Carbohydrates 10 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 17 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @easyfamilyrecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #easyfamilyrecipes.