Heart Sandwich Cookies with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling
Yield 14 cookies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for decorating
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cream together butter and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla, salt, and egg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda.
- Add flour to butter mixture and blend until a dough forms.
- Lightly flour a flat surface, then roll out dough to a little less than 1/2-inch thick.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 28 hearts (gather and re-roll dough scraps to get enough cookies).
- Transfer cookies to baking sheet.
- Bake until cookies are golden on bottom, about 8 to 10 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Melt white chocolate in microwave. Set aside.
- Blend together cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla and white chocolate.
- Blend in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add red food coloring a little at a time until you get a pink color you like.
- Spread white chocolate filling generously over bottom of a cookie, then top with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Place a little powdered sugar in a fine mesh strainer, then sprinkle over tops of cookies.
- Serve cookies immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe by The Pinning Mama at https://www.thepinningmama.com/heart-sandwich-cookies/