Mini Pumpkin Pies with Cinnamon Cheesecake Topping
Yield 24 Mini Pumpkin Pies
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter (cold), cubed
- 2 – 4 tbsp. ice water
For Pumpkin Filling:
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pinch each: cloves and allspice
For Cinnamon Cheesecake Topping:
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Add flour and salt to a food processor bowl and pulse to combine.
- Add butter to flour mixture and pulse until it looks like small crumbs.
- Sprinkle mixture with 2 tbsp. ice water.
- Pulse until dough holds together when pressed with your hands. Add additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Dump dough onto a cutting board and press into a ball. Flatten into a thick disk.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for half an hour.
Prepare Pumpkin Filling:
- Lightly beat egg in a medium bowl.
- Add pumpkin through allspice and mix until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 mini muffin pans (or enough pans for 24 mini pumpkin pies) lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, unwrap, and place on a lightly floured board.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut out 24 circles, using a 2-inch cutter or drinking glass. (I used a champagne glass.) Gather scraps and re-roll dough to get enough circles, if needed.
- Gently press circles into muffin pan, making sure dough touches sides of pan and reaches to the top of the pan.
- Fill each crust with pumpkin filling (about a heaping teaspoon each).
- Place muffin pans in preheated oven and bake until pumpkin filling is set and tops have started to brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove pies from oven and allow to cool completely before adding topping.
Make Mini Leaves (optional):
- While pies are baking, use a sharp knife to cut out mini leaves about ¾-inch long.
- Place the leaves on a baking sheet coated with nonstick spray.
- Use the back of your knife to press a line down the center of each leaf.
- On either side of this line add a few lines for the leaf veins.
- Brush the tops of the leaves with a little oil.
- Refrigerate leaves until pies are done, then place in oven and bake for 5 - 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Prepare Cheesecake Topping:
- Place heavy cream in stand mixer bowl.
- Use whisk attachment to whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Scrape whipped cream in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add cream cheese to mixer bowl (no need to clean) and use the paddle attachment to beat cream until completely smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon to cream cheese. Mix until completely combined.
- Use a spatula to gently fold 1/2 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Fold the remaining whipped cream into the cream cheese.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cinnamon cream cheese mixture.
- Top each pie with a swirl of cheesecake and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Finish each pie with a pastry leaf, if using.
- - If you don't have a food processor, you can prepare the crust by hand. Add the butter to the flour using a fork or your hands. Then stir in water until dough begin the form.
- - The cheesecake mixture can also be prepared with a hand mixer or by hand, if you do not have a stand mixer.
Recipe by The Pinning Mama at https://www.thepinningmama.com/mini-pumpkin-pies-with-cinnamon-cheesecake-topping/