Healthy and Easy Baby Finger Foods & Printable

– Posted in: Cooking, Easy, Freebies!, Freezer Cooking, Healthy, Kids, Parenting, Printables

****For more great stuff like this, Follow us on Pinterest!*********

With my first baby I was all about the homemade baby food.  I spent hours and days cooking different foods and pureeing them into baby food.  My baby had a wonderful and healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables.  With my second I was flabberghasted when she wouldn’t eat ANYTHING with a mushy texture!  I thought for a bit that she just wasn’t ready, but after we passed the 7 month mark I started trying some new things and figured out that she loved finger foods, she just wouldn’t eat anything mushy.  With my first I didn’t do table food until much closer to one and so I really had to think to figure out what finger foods would be appropriate for a new eater.

When you browse down the aisle at the store they offer a multitude of baby finger foods in a can, but I just couldn’t justify feeding my baby a diet of puffs and the equivalent of baby cheetos.  Some of the other issues I had besides health was that I needed something that was equally healthy and easy, and since we are constantly on the go I have to have something I can grab quickly and take with me just like you can a jar of baby food.  After some trial and error we have found some great alternatives for for me to feed her that were 1. Healthy 2. Easy  and 3. Portable.  That made us both happy!  So whether you are trying out baby led weaning or you are at the stage where you are moving from puree to more table food this is a great list to keep handy to keep it healthy and keep it easy.

Baby Led Weaning Foods

Everything on the list below is EASY!  Also, most of it can be prepped ahead of time and frozen so when you are on the go all you have to do pop a container out of the freezer and jet out the door.  Freezer cooking baby style!  I try to introduce a variety of healthy foods to help form a well rounded eater.  Also, as we mentioned in our Easy and Healthy Toddler Snacks post, it can take up to 10 introductions for a kid to try a food, so don’t give up on healthy foods if they don’t like it on the first couple of trys! Also, Check out our post on Spicing up Your Baby Food to see how to incorporate new flavors for your little one! Remember that you should only offer your baby foods that are cool, soft, easily mashed and age appropriate.  Also, babies should always be supervised while eating any food.

Freezer Friendly Foods:

• Cooked Carrots- I microwave baby carrots in a bowl covered with water and chop into small bites (16oz for 6-8 min)
  • Cooked Peas- I use canned, no salt added because they are the most mushy
  • Cooked Green Beans- I use canned, no salt added because they are the most mushy, diced
  • Cooked Black Beans- I use canned, no salt added because they are the most mushy
  • Other Cooked Beans- Anything soft, although if they are larger you might need to dice them as well
  • Cooked Corn- I use canned, no salt added
  • Cooked Broccoli- diced
  • Whole Wheat Bread- diced
  • Cooked Sweet Potato- Wash and leave in produce bag, microwave in bag for 4-6 min, diced
  • Avocado diced
  • Soft Cheeses- cheddar, mozzarella, colby jack, provolone etc diced
  • Cooked Pasta- diced
  • Cooked Butternut or Acorn Squash- Cut in half and microwave until soft, diced
  • Eggs- scrambled and cut into bits
  • Brown rice- cooked
  • Very Ripe Pears- diced
  • Very Ripe Mango- diced

Other Great Healthy Finger Foods:

• Banana- diced
  • Blueberries cut in half or slightly mashed
  • Kiwi- soft and ripe, diced
  • Peaches- soft and ripe, diced
  • Very ripe tomatoes, diced without skin
  • Cheerios
  • Baby Mum Mum
  • Watermelon- diced with no seeds
  • Other very ripe Melons- Cantelope, Honey Dew etc. Diced
  • Graham crackers-very small pieces
  • Organic Puffs

Since these finger foods are our main source of nutrition (outside of breast feeding), I like to fix myself ready to go packages of freezer foods.  I can prepare a lot at once by freezing them in meal sized containers.  I have quite a few of the plastic Gerber baby food containers saved that are perfect to use.  Also, Glad and Zip Lock both make 4-8 oz reuseable containers which I used when I made baby food with my first and are also perfect for this.  I prep all of my food then fill the containers with it so I can have a variety at each meal.  I will put veggies mixed together in a container but obviously things like bread and cheese should be packaged by themselves.  I use snack sized zip lock bags for this.  If you need more ideas the Wholesome Baby Food website is a great additional resource on what to feed baby and your preparation options.

Baby Led Weaning Foods

See… That was easy!  Now to make it even better, here is a free printable sheet to stick to your fridge to remind you of all the healthy meal options available for baby.  For more great posts on food for little ones and printables, check out  Easy and Healthy Toddler Snacks and Spice Up Your Baby Food!

****For more great printables and baby tips like this, Follow us on Pinterest!*********

Dowload: 8.5×11 Printable Healthy Baby Foods List

Baby Led Weaning Foods

29 Comments… add one

Tracy March 20, 2013, 7:14 pm

LOVE this!!!!! I’ve already had to share this post with someone else I know had a baby that didnt like purées!

Kimber March 21, 2013, 7:00 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! I am glad it was so helpful. I had a hard time getting into finger foods and really had to find my groove. Crazy how easy it is to forget in two years time!

Jenny Walker April 14, 2013, 5:56 pm

I’m so glad you posted this. I have really been slacking on feeding Stella food. I think we will try some finger foods. She does pretty good with purée’s but I would love for her to try feeding herself.

Kimber April 14, 2013, 9:55 pm

She will love it! I think most babies really enjoy the process of self feeding and it is great for their motor skills! You will be surprised how quickly she gets the hang of it and starts gobbling up everything in sight!

Christie April 30, 2013, 5:51 am

Thank you so much for this list and your spicing up baby food and toddler snack lists! I have a 9 month old and preparing his meals has felt like so much extra work lately! He loves to feed himself so I always need to have a variety of things he can do that with. I just had all of the foods separate in the freezer and I would steam as needed. I like the idea of mixing up different foods and freezing them together. I also appreciate your cooking in the microwave tips.

Kimber April 30, 2013, 8:00 am

You are so welcome Christi! We are just thrilled that you love it! It is so nice to be able to get new ideas for baby especially in the food department! I know I get in a rut so easily! Stay tuned for more great baby tips!

Lauren April 30, 2013, 7:32 pm

I LOVED finding this! My 9 month old has started eating puffs better on his own and I can tell he really wants to eat on his own. Will only having 2 bottom teeth prevent him from eating some of this successfully? I’m a first time mom still figuring this all out! ;-)

Kimber April 30, 2013, 10:00 pm

Lauren! Don’t worry! We have ALL been there! I’m on number 2 now and I still don’t know what I am doing half the time! If you have questions always consult your doctor, we are not experts, just speaking from our own experiences. With that said, my baby girl is 10 months now and has been eating all of these foods since she was 7 months and had absolutely no teeth! Just make sure things are super mushy when you cook them and cut them into very small pieces. Things like beans you can smash a bit with your fingers before you give it to them. Also, if it still makes you nervous put it into your mouth and see if you are able to break it up without your teeth and that can give you piece of mind that if you can they should be able to also.

Shannon May 1, 2013, 8:19 am

Going to try doing this on the weekend. I was wondering if the canned vegetables need to be warmed up first or if they are already soft enough before you freeze them?

Thanks for the great ideas!

Chelsea January 19, 2014, 5:02 pm

Thank you for the posting this question! I have the same question – do the canned veggies need to be warmed up first before freezing them? Also, what do you do to defrost when it comes to meal time?

Jessica January 21, 2014, 6:27 pm

Good question! How do you reheat the food?

Kimber January 23, 2014, 2:47 pm

Hi Jessica! If I knew I was going to use a certain amount the next day, I would just pop them in the fridge the night before. Then I would heat them up just a tad in the microwave, although you have to be really careful to make sure there are no hot spots before giving to baby. I would also take them straight from the freezer to the microwave when I needed to. You could really heat it up any way that you prefer to heat your food.

Kimber January 23, 2014, 2:48 pm

Let me know if the two answers below answered all of your questions Chelsea! Otherwise I would be happy to clarify or give more detail!

Kimber January 23, 2014, 2:45 pm

I don’t warm them. I just prep them as I want them and pop them in the freezer. I find that canned veggies are really soft and easily mashed by babies gums where as the frozen ones can be a bit tougher.

Chelsea February 2, 2014, 8:47 am

Thanks for your response! How long are these foods good for in the freezer?

Kimber February 2, 2014, 11:58 pm

You should be able to use standard freezer rules of thumb… 3 months in the regular freezer and 6 months in the deep freezer. Hope that helps!

Holly May 16, 2013, 7:24 pm

LOVE!!! I have been looking for ideas for finger foods, especially vegetables. So glad to see that others use canned veggies.

Kimber May 16, 2013, 9:00 pm

I am so glad it could be helpful for you! Thank you for commenting! I know you might get a bigger nutritional punch from frozen but at some point it is just worth the ease! I mean really, who is judging if your kids is eating veggies?!

Ksiu July 13, 2013, 8:46 pm

canned veggies. Not sure about it… There is zero nutrients and vitamins left. What is the point of giving it to your child? Would it be a better idea to cut up and steam some fresh veggies?. I know it is an extra step but it is 100 times better!

Kimber July 17, 2013, 10:15 pm

You are right that steamed veggies have more vitamins and nutrients. If I have time I love to make them this way. I don’t always have the time though so there are many times I do use canned. Also, both of my kids have preferred the texture of the canned veggies when they were learning to eat. In my opinion, if you are training them to like healthy food and feeding them a balanced diet, you are doing a great job as a mom whether it comes from a can or a steamer.

Nicole December 1, 2013, 8:13 pm

I agree!! And thank you my 10 month old just started refusing food until I figured he didn’t want me feeding him! Suddenly a mad dash for more ideas!! Especially as he tends to want to not chew and swallow what he can in big chunks! Great ideas! I do fresh when can also but can food is a life saver sometimes :0)

Kimber December 4, 2013, 4:10 pm

Thanks for leaving us a note Nicole! I totally agree and am so glad the list was helpful!

Jill September 22, 2013, 7:45 pm

thank you! great, helpful post!!

Kimber September 24, 2013, 10:04 am

Thanks Jill! It can be so difficult to figure out everything you need for your baby sometimes so I was happy to pass along what worked for us!

Jenna September 27, 2013, 11:23 am

So how would I prepare all this and get it ready to serve?! I’m knew to the finger foods and my baby hates jarred food. She’s 7 months old.

DeAnna July 31, 2014, 1:44 pm

So, do you warm it up before feeding it to your baby, or just let it thaw?

Kimber July 31, 2014, 3:33 pm

I warm it just a bit so it’s not cold but there would never be a chance of burning little mouths

Stephanie August 29, 2014, 6:01 pm

I don’t feel that this is a healthy diet for a baby under 12 months. Canned beans and packaged bread have tons of sodium. Sure you say that you’re using no salt added canned veggies, but you say you’re using them because they’re the mushiest (not because salt is really bad for infants). Infants’ kidneys cannot handle extra sodium in their diet. I feel that if one is looking for convenient food to feed their baby (that isn’t a puree), one should opt for frozen veggies that do not contain sodium.

Kimber August 31, 2014, 2:17 pm

Frozen veggies are a great option too. Feel free to use whatever you think is the best option for your family. For us canned worked well, but anyone who is changing diet for their baby should consult with your child’s pediatrician when changing to solids and follow their recommendation. All of my children were breast fed until a year, so I don’t really see the solid food as a primary source of nutrition, but rather something that helps them to learn about textures and how to eat solid foods.