Mexican Appetizer Cups

– Posted in: Cooking, Easy, Recipes

Mexican Cup Appetizers www.thepinningmama.comThese mexican appetizer cups are so dang delicious! They’re one of my favorite things to make for superbowl parties! I found the original Pillsbury recipe a few years ago and while I am sure it’s delicious, I have made my own personal changes to make it better. The only hard part about making these is that you have to break the biscuits into layers, but I promise it’s not actually hard; it does take a little time though. You can also use this mixture as a chip dip instead of the trusty ole spinach and artichoke dip that appears at most parties! Also, I apologize for my horrendous photos. I was running out the door and didn’t have time to set up the stage for them to look pretty for a photo shoot. That sounds like a joke, but in blog land it’s so so true.

Gather the goods.Mexican Cup Appetizers www.thepinningmama.com

• Once you have squeezed the water from your spinach, mix all ingredients together except for the Doritos.

Mexican Cup Appetizers www.thepinningmama.com

• Crush your Doritos and add to the spinach mixture.

Mexican Cup Appetizers www.thepinningmama.com

• Separate your JUNIOR biscuit layers into 2 or 3 pieces. Sometimes you can only get 2 layers, and that is ok. Just take that into account when you’re figuring out how many you need. You can also use regular sized biscuits, but you’ll have a more biscuity (that’s a foodie term, I swear). Just split them into 3 or 4 layers instead of 2 or 3.
  • Place 1 layer in each muffin cups and press dough on bottom and up the side of each cup.
  • Fill each cup with about 1 Tbsp spinach mixture. Sprinkle filling in each cup with about 1 tsp cheese.Mexican Cup Appetizers www.thepinningmama.com
  • In a preheated 375 degree oven, bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of biscuits are golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. tick tock. tick tock.Mexican Cup Appetizers www.thepinningmama.com
    Mexican Cup Appetizers www.thepinningmama.com

Mexican Appetizer Cups

Ingredients

• 1 frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
  • Softened cream cheese
  • 1 cup light sour cream
  • 1/2-whole packet of taco seasoning
  • Approx 20 Doritos in a small ziplock (just fill the bag)
  • 2 cans (12 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® biscuits (20 biscuits)
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 30 mini muffin cups. In large bowl, mix spinach, tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning mix; set aside.
  2. Place Doritos in a small ziplock bag and seal. Finely crush the chips to measure 1/2 cup. Stir crushed chips into the spinach filling.
  3. Separate 1 can of dough into 10 biscuits; separate each biscuit into 3 layers. Sometimes you can only separate them into 2 and that is totally fine. Just take that into account that you're one less mexican cup. Place 1 layer in each muffin cups and press dough on bottom and up side of each cup.
  4. Fill each cup with about 1 Tbsp spinach mixture. Sprinkle filling in each cup with about 1 tsp cheese. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of biscuits are golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
  5. Optional: Add 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken, cooked ground beef, or ground turkey
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

18 Comments… add one

Kristin Shaw (Two Cannoli) June 11, 2013, 7:54 am

You can create anything with Pillsbury biscuits!

Ashley June 11, 2013, 1:18 pm

I know! I feel like this is such a new thing, but its prb not. People are so creative in the things they make!

Granny Beth June 11, 2013, 2:18 pm

I love these!

Recreate and Decorate June 11, 2013, 2:42 pm

OMG these looks delicious!! but I’m on weight watchers!! a year of blogging has put the pounds on me!! but I am going to make these for our next BBQ.

Ashley June 11, 2013, 3:05 pm

Then these will be a real treat for you when you get to try them! :) Way to stay motivated and resist temptation!

ValeviL June 12, 2013, 12:08 am

it seems like a very good recipe :D

Tracie June 12, 2013, 5:40 am

Mmmm. These look great!

Sarah Bailey June 12, 2013, 8:11 am

WOW those look amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing x

Lanie Craig June 12, 2013, 10:27 am

OMG!!! those look so delish!!!

Miranda June 12, 2013, 2:20 pm

OMG they look so yummy! Then when I saw they have doritos in them I had to wipe the drool off my chin! haha. Thanks!

Ashley June 12, 2013, 4:18 pm

Ha! Doritos are def the secret!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner June 20, 2013, 10:38 am

I’m always looking for new appetizer ideas and these look so good. I would have never thought to combine these particular ingredients but the final pic makes them so delicious. I mean I’d pretty much do anything with doritos. ;) Pinning to make asap! I found you guys on pinterest and you have so many other great ideas. :)

Ashley June 20, 2013, 10:45 am

Thanks, Tina! The only problem with this recipe is that you don’t use the whole bag of Doritos, so then you have to eat them! I don’t normally buy chips because I can seriously eat a bag in one sitting! #worthit We’ve put our heart into this site and love positive feedback like yours. :) It’s what makes it worth it! Thanks again!

Michelle July 5, 2013, 5:53 am

These look so good!! What a great party idea!! Definitely pinning!! Again, thanks for linking up with LOBS!!

Ashley July 5, 2013, 8:08 am

Thanks for commenting and pinning. We love LOBS!

Krystal November 22, 2013, 8:17 pm

A few weeks ago my family had a little get together. My mom made taco soup, and I made these. Trust me when I say……they are EXTREMELY DELICIOUS and ADDICTIVE! My brother-in-law almost took someone’s hand off to get the last one. I am going to make them again for Thanksgiving. I know it’s not exactly what you call a traditional side dish, but my family insisted I make them again. What can I say, I aim to please. Thanks for the great recipe Ashley, and my family thanks you too!!

Kimber November 25, 2013, 10:03 am

I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe Krystal! I love this because it is a change from the norm and you are right, there is something strangely addictive about them! Thanks for letting us know you loved it!

Kristy April 7, 2014, 7:57 am

Hi these delicious except how much cream cheese?