{diy} How to Make an Easy Ribbon Wreath

– Posted in: Crafts, DIY, Easy, Holiday, Home, Tutorials, Uncategorized

*** If you are new here, Welcome!  You might want to follow The Pinning Mama on Facebook to get updates and crafting tips!  We also have exclusive freebies jut for our fans to download there!  To see all of our freebies click here.***

Two years ago when my husband was coming home from Pakistan I knew I wanted to make his homecoming awesome- you know, with signs, balloons etc. I decided I NEEDED a red, white and blue wreath to go along with my American flag I’d have waving outside on my front door. I searched and searched and was kind of shocked at how expensive wreaths were in general! I saw a few that were adorable, namely ribbon wreaths, but they were way out of my budget. I knew my happy little fingers would smile when I decided I could make my own. Now it’s kind of an addiction and I need them for every holiday! I’m so excited to share with you this easy easy easy ribbon wreath  tutorial. Whether it’s Christmas, Spring time or another occasion, there is a wreath that can be made! Here is a similar burlap bubble wreath we shared a while back.

Who doesn’t love a happy wreath hanging on their front door?more wreath ideas www.thepinningmama.com

What you need:

• 14 inch Styrofoam wreath form
  • 1/2 yard of burlap or ribbon
  • 16 yards of wired, 1 1/2 inch thick ribbon in your color choice.
  • Ball point pins
  • Scissors
  • Ruler

Instructions:

Wrap your wreath form with either colored ribbon or burlap. Pre-cut your ribbon into 4 inch long strips. My yellow ribbon was not wired and I really preferred using wired ribbon because it laid nicer. Unless there is a ribbon you’d die without, go with wired!

Fold your ribbon in half (hamburger style) and then at the bottom bring the ends together (hot dog style) and push a ball point pin through. Then stick it into your wreath form. Push your ribbon down a little bit so that it takes up more space and isn’t just sticking straight up. I liked the ribbon bubbles to be closer together, so I used a lot of ribbon. I probably could have used a lot less ribbon had I been ok with a looser affect. Whatever floats your boat! When you’re just about done, remember to save some space so that you can add a piece of ribbon so that you can hang your ribbon wreath!

Seriously, anyone can make this. No “I’m not crafty” excuses! The hardest part was picking out the ribbon patterns! how to make a ribbon wreath www.thepinningmama.com

For another wreath tutorial, check out this Burlap Bubble Wreath tutorial!burlap wreath ideas www.thepinningmama.com

21 Comments… add one

popcosmo August 13, 2013, 6:37 am

Gorgeous – I like both wreaths for different reasons and different seasons!! Love how simple they are to make b/c as much as I like a good craft, I like them to actually look like the picture when I’m done, haha!
xo ~kim & chloe

Ashley August 13, 2013, 11:16 am

There is nothing more frustrating than finishing a project and then looking at the inspiration and having them look completely different!

Jen August 13, 2013, 8:33 am

LOVE IT!! I have this pinned to my Wreaths board on Pinterest. I need to make a new wreath and you have just given me the inspiration! :-)

Ashley August 13, 2013, 11:17 am

Thanks Jen! I bet you will come up with something super cute!

Recreateanddecorate August 13, 2013, 3:05 pm

This is a super cute wreath, and I agree, I hate finishing a project and it looks nothing like it was supposed to! I wonder how an orange and blue would look on my new front doors!

Ashley August 13, 2013, 3:11 pm

go Gators! How could that not look amazing?

Geralin @ Metropolitan Organizing August 14, 2013, 3:17 am

This looks like a fun project that I could do with my nieces – they love a good project and I’m not too crafty so this might just be good, clean family fun! While Wanda is making a “Go Gators” wreath, I might have to be a copy cat and create a Go Heels (UNC, Chapel Hill) competing wreath.

Ashley August 19, 2013, 1:25 pm

Done! We also liked you back on FB. :) I totally have rug envy!

Nicole August 19, 2013, 5:35 pm

Cute wreath! Found you on the DIY’ers and am now following via email!

Ashley August 19, 2013, 11:21 pm

Thanks Nicole! Glad you found us. Ill like you back tomorrow. :)

Tracy - FrugalorFree.com September 2, 2013, 11:21 pm

Wonderful twist on the diy wreath, can’t wait to make mine . I included this in my diy Halloween roundup.

Ashley September 3, 2013, 6:45 am

Thanks for stopping by to let us know! Ill def check it out. :)

Lindsey November 2, 2013, 8:17 pm

Me and my mom sat down tonight and made a “it’s a boy” wreath for my aunt Mindy. Thank you for the inspiration.

Ashley November 3, 2013, 7:07 am

I bet your Aunt Mindy will love such a sweet gift! If it’s done, we’d love for you to share a pic on our fb page. We love seeing what our friends create!

Jamie Snyder November 4, 2013, 7:00 am

Alright. I am convinced. This is easy and I am going to do it. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower. :)

Kimber November 7, 2013, 11:52 pm

So excited to have you as a follower! Thanks for stopping by and leaving us a note. You will love the wreath, it is perfect for any occasion and you can decorate with it pretty much anywhere!

Carol November 7, 2013, 6:02 am

Hi have been looking for instructions on how to make a wreath from wired ribbon. Everything I see is just plain ribbon. I have a friend that has a whole bunch of wired ribbon she wants to use up. Anyone know how to use wired ribbon to make a wreath?

Kimber November 7, 2013, 11:40 pm

Hi Carol, You could use wired ribbon with this method and get a great result. Or if you have much wider wired ribbon you could try something like this http://freshideastudio.com/diy-fall-leaves-poof-wreath/. I hope you are able to turn all that ribbon into a beautiful wreath!

Nikki November 9, 2013, 5:37 pm

So all it takes is sticking it into the foam with the pen and it stays?

Claudia Mancillas November 10, 2013, 6:36 pm

I’ve been working on learning to do wreath, I saw your website I’m very interested in learning

Kimber November 12, 2013, 1:21 pm

Thanks for stopping by and leaving us a note Claudia! I hope the tutorial is helpful for you. Please let us know if you have more questions!