When I was younger my sister and I used to go to a local snack shack and get these huge popcorn balls as treats. They were the most beautifully colored treats. I imagine them as the macaroons of the day because of the array of colors that they came in! I decided to figure out how to make them myself because I knew my daughter would love them. They’re basically a round rice krispie treat except in popcorn form! I think these would be such a fun treat for a birthday party, an after school snack or even a fun snack to bring for all the soccer kids after a big game. OR since Halloween is coming up, throw some candy corn in the mix instead of sprinkles! How cute would that be?
What you need:
- 6 cups popcorn – microwave or stove top.
- 16 large marshmallows
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 3/4 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp sprinkles – colors of the sports team would be great!
- Make your popcorn or scoop out 6 cups of popcorn into a large bowl.
- In a greased pot or large saucepan melt your butter on low heat. When it has melted, add 16 marshmallows and stir until melted with a rubber spatula. Spraying your spatula with cooking spray is very helpful! Once melted, remove from heat and add your vanilla.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over your popcorn. Mix with spatula until evenly coated. Sprinkle in your colored sprinkles.
- With greased hands, roll your popcorn balls. I can usually get 8 decently sized popcorn balls (think palm size).
- Once balls are formed, place onto a piece of wax paper and let cool and set for 1 hour.