Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes

– Posted in: Cooking, Recipes

********If you are new here we would love you to join us on Facebook to see all of our newest and yummiest recipes and catch the great freebies we post there exclusively for our FB fans!  Also– don’t miss out on all of the best reciped from across the web The Pinning Mama is Pinning by following us on Pinterest!********

Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe via www.thepinningmama.com

I love a good slow cooker recipe, don’t you?  I think the crock pot is officially Mom’s best friend.  In the past few years since having kids, I have really expanded my repertoire of crock pot recipes and had some fun adapting old recipes to work with my new best friend.  That is exactly what I am sharing with you today friends!  I have been making this same garlic parmesan mashed potato recipe for ages and last year when I needed to simplify things for Thanksgiving, I decided that the mashed potatoes would be the perfect thing to cook in the crock pot to free up the stove and make life easier!

I plan on making my garlic parmesan mashed potatoes again this Thanksgiving and now the slow cooker is the ONLY way I make them.  Although I can appreciate the depth of flavor you can get by spending copious amounts of time preparing certain things, at this stage in my life, I just don’t have the time for it!  And especially on Thanksgiving day! The good news, or rather great news, is that you aren’t sacrificing anything here!  These potatoes taste every but as delicious cooked in the crock pot as they would on the stove.  You just don’t have to put in as much effort or clean up!

So here’s the skinny on how to do it.

Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe via www.thepinningmama.com

First take a 5 pound bag of red potatoes and wash them.  Then chop them up into quarters.  I usually make mashed potatoes for a crowd so I cook all 5 pounds.  You can cook half the amount and have more than enough for your family dinner.

Pour the potatoes into the slow cooker and add 1 cup (my crockpot steams out a bit while it cooks so I use a little extra) chicken broth, butter, and garlic cloves. {We have a fabulous no effort slow cooker chicken broth recipe I use in my mashed potatoes!} Cook on low for 6-7 hours.

At the end of the cook time you should be able to very easily poke a fork into the potatoes.  Add your sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt, oregano {the oregano is the secret ingredient and oh so yummy!} and use a potato masher to mash everything together until it is mixed and the potatoes are the smoothness you want.  I like mine just a hair on the chunky side!

Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe via www.thepinningmama.com

You can either transfer the mashed potatoes to a bowl at this point or leave them covered on the warm setting in the crock pot until you are ready to eat.

There you have it!  One of my favorite sides.  What are your favorite sides for Thanksgiving or anytime?!

For a full printable recipe scroll to the bottom!

Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe via www.thepinningmama.com

To see more absolutely mouth watering recipes from our collection click visit our RECIPES section here!  We have lots of yummy things like:

The Ultimate Game Day Recipe!!! Snickers Stuffed Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies by www.thepinningmama.com #shop

Snickers Stuffed Cookie——- pretty much heaven!

{Easy Family Dinners) Chicken Fajita Stuffed Baked Potato - click for recipe #shop

Chicken Fajita Stuffed Baked Potatoes ——- You will be glad you did it!

Slow Cooker Chicken Broth made with left over rotisserie chicken by www.thepinningmama.com #crockpot #recipe

How to make chicken broth in a Crock Pot with LEFTOVER rotisserie chicken!  So easy this will amaze you!

Peppermint Brownies Recipe -- Click here

These Peppermint Brownies take about 5 minutes to whip up and are perfect to take to any holiday party!!!

Oh and have you followed us on Facebook and Pinterest?!  We share lots of great tips from across the web on both.  We would love for you to join us!!

Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 5 lbs red potatoes
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup grated parmesan
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp oregano

Instructions

1. Please note this makes a HUGE amount
  2. Wash and cut your potatoes into quarters
  3. Place in the slow cooker with broth, garlic, and butter and cook on low 6-8 hours
  4. Potatoes should be easily pierced with a fork when done.
  5. Add sour cream, parmesan, salt and oregano.
  6. Use a potato masher to mash and blend until well combined and the potatoes are the desired consistency.
  7. Serve or keep warm in crock pot until time to serve.
  8. Enjoy!

34 Comments… add one

Jen November 11, 2013, 6:15 am

Those look yummy!

Kimber November 12, 2013, 1:20 pm

They definitely are Jen! And great for little hands to help with!

Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio November 11, 2013, 8:03 am

Oh those sound so good! Love the that the crockpot idea and thanks for sharing your secret ingredient too. I’ll have to remember that. Yum!

Kimber November 12, 2013, 1:20 pm

You are so welcome! Gotta love the crock pot!

popcosmo November 11, 2013, 11:13 am

Passing this along to the kids… they LOVE making mashed potatoes and this will make it so easy for them. Yep, they are the cooks in the family! Thanks once again for an easy recipe!
xo ~kim

Kimber November 12, 2013, 1:20 pm

I hope my kids grow up just like yours Kim! Such great helpers and yes, this is the perfect thing to get them involved with. Great idea!

Alison November 12, 2013, 1:35 am

I love potatoes – these look scrumptious!

Kimber November 12, 2013, 1:19 pm

They are! And a great recipe for a crowd. Thanks for stopping by Alison.

Cori November 12, 2013, 11:28 am

Kimber,
These look yummy!! Can you share the measurements for the garlic, butter, sour cream, parm, orgegano…? Would love to make these for Thanksgiving

Kimber November 12, 2013, 1:18 pm

Sorry Cori! I added a recipe but I guess it deleted itself. Thanks for letting me know. Just updated it with the recipe again. I hope you love them!

Heidi November 24, 2013, 6:56 pm

These look super yummy!! Do you think you could cut down on the time by cooking them on high? Thanks!

Kimber November 25, 2013, 10:02 am

You can! I have cooked them on high for around 2 hours and they are perfect!

nicole February 8, 2014, 6:35 pm

can i leave the sour cream out? please email me back thanks!

Kimber February 11, 2014, 11:32 pm

Nicole- I think you could leave out the sour cream but you would need to add some other type of liquid to make sure they weren’t super dry. Maybe milk or cream. The flavor would be a little different, but you could definitely give it a try.

Whitney April 7, 2014, 8:06 pm

Is it really 11/2 of sour cream? Also if cutting the recipe in half do you use 1 or 1/2 can of chicken broth ? These look amazing I can’t wait to try!!

Kimber April 13, 2014, 10:45 am

Yes Whitney, it is! The sour cream is the main ingredient that creates the moisture and creaminess. Feel free to use light though. I know it sounds like a lot, but for 5 pounds of potatoes it takes quite a bit to get everything combined! If you cut the recipe in half, I would just measure 1 cup of broth and add that.

Justine August 25, 2014, 2:44 pm

Your recipe isn’t including measurements. Can you please share in the comments section what they should be.

Kimber August 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

There is a full printable recipe toward the bottom of the post with every measurement. I hope you enjoy the mashed potatoes!

Stacie September 17, 2014, 11:58 am

Do you drain any of the broth before mashing? There seems to be quite a bit (in crock pot now) :-)

Sandi October 10, 2014, 6:57 am

The recipe says 1 cup of broth, but in your explanation you say 2. What is the correct measurement? Also, do you chop the garlic first?

Kimber October 10, 2014, 7:00 am

Hi Sandy- I edited the recipe down to one cup recently. My crockpot does steam out a little so I find that 2 cups works well for me, but after working with a few different people I found that one cup works better for most crock pots. I did not chop my garlic, just mashed it up with the potatoes at the end, but it certainly won’t hurt anything if you do.

Samantha October 16, 2014, 6:31 am

These are amazing! I made them once before recently but cut the recipe in half it was the perfect amount. I am making them for the girls I nanny for tonight (they are PICKY) and wanted to see can these be made with regular yellow potatoes with the skin removed?

Kimber October 16, 2014, 7:22 am

I’ve never tried regular baking potatoes but I have used the Yukon gold small yellow potatoes the same way I so the red in the recipe. So glad you liked them!

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut October 21, 2014, 5:00 pm

Such a great idea! I’m busting out the crockpot this weekend so I love seeing new ideas for ways I can use it! Thanks for sharing! :)

Kimber October 24, 2014, 3:29 pm

I hope your family loves them as much as mine! I think anything that can be done in the crockpot gets extra stars!

Barbie Zuleski October 26, 2014, 6:22 am

these are just perfect, we will serve them at other family evens as well, thank you.

Joanne Warner November 16, 2014, 6:20 am

I am going to try these but i love cream cheese in mine.. even keeps them creamy when re heating.. do an experimental batch today to see If I want them for Thanksgiving. sounds yummy

Kimber November 16, 2014, 6:25 am

Cream cheese would be great in them! I hope you love them as much as we do!

Sandy November 16, 2014, 8:38 am

Hi – I like mine a little smoother. Do you think these could be mixed with a mixer?

Stephanie November 26, 2014, 3:48 pm

I want to make 2 1/2 lbs of potatoes. Should I half everything including the broth? Thanks you!!

Kimber November 26, 2014, 4:13 pm

Yes that is exactly what I would do!

Danielle December 12, 2014, 7:22 pm

Hi, I would really love to make these tomorrow for or thanksgiving / christmas but we are eating kind if early and I am wondering if I cook them on high how long they should cook for? I am not a morning person and I don’t want to be up super early cutting potatoes! Thanks so much! I can’t wait to try this out!

Debbie Loy December 14, 2014, 7:12 pm

I think the crock pot potatoes, saves a stove burner for something.

Rene December 17, 2013, 8:58 am

What are the measurements for the sour cream, butter, oregano and garlic cloves? It isn’t showing on the recipe. Thanks!