Packed with flavor, this Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice recipe can be prepped and to the table in as little as 20 minutes, and will quickly become a family favorite! Since everything is cooked in just one skillet, this dinner is as easy to clean up as it is to prepare!
It seems like for YEARS my husband and I have been waiting for this phase of life where our kids are coming into their own and participating in sports, music, and activities they love. I remember years before we even had kids, we were out on a donut run one lazy Saturday morning and we decided that on the way home we would stop and watch some of the little league games we passed on the way to the donut store. The cuteness factor is just OFF THE CHARTS!
Now we are just entering into the world of our children having their own teams they play on and passions in life, and as much as we love to watch them play, what I did not at all anticipate was the absolutely crazy, hectic schedule that comes with it! Can I get a second?
Gone are the visions of spending hours at the dinner table talking, laughing and bonding over a meal I cooked with love for hours during the day. I mean really? What was I thinking and who put those crazy ideas in my head?
The reality at this time of year looks more like a rush home from school to do homework, then prepare a quick and hopefully nutritious dinner we can eat together before the evening chaos of practices and soccer games begin. Then rushing home to get everyone bathed and to bed at a decent hour so we can start all over again the next day.
It sounds crazy sometimes, but I do know a few things for sure:
- I love that my kids have passions and are involved in things that teach them hard work, how to be a team, and self-discipline.
- Family time is still an important priority, and eating together as a family is a big part of that.
- My kids are very active and they need hot, filling, and balanced meals.
I am not saying balancing any of it is easy, but I do think where there is a will there is a way, and I know what is important to us! So with that said I spend a lot of time coming up with recipes for meals that are really, truly quick and easy and share many of them with you here on the blog. As an added bonus, they are almost always family friendly, because who wants dinner time battles? We don’t have any time for that in our crazy schedule!
Now this Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice recipe I am extra excited to share this Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice recipe with you because not only is it perfect for a hectic night where you need something quick and easy to make, but it passed the family taste test with flying colors. It was gobbled up by all three kids, the husband asked for seconds, which rarely happens around here, AND the leftovers got chosen for lunch the next day. Add the deliciousness of this dish in with the fact that you can make this whole meal to feed a family in one skillet minimizing both prep time and clean up afterwards and you might just have the dinner trifecta!
This recipe uses Knorr® Herb & Butter flavor Rice Sides™ as the foundation to make everything come together super quickly since it already includes the rice and flavorings in one package. The chicken and broccoli cook right in the same skillet and lemon enhances all of the flavors already in the dish perfectly to make the dinner come together quickly with little effort.
Making this delicious dinner is simple! Only 3 basic steps: (see the recipe card below for full detailed recipe)
- Start by browning the chicken in the skillet with the oil, half of the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Next use the skillet to cook the Knorr® Rice Sides™ with the water, cream, and the rest of lemon juice, adding the broccoli to cook with it.
- Finally mix the chicken back in with the rice and broccoli and let it set until ready to serve.
Tip: Substitute half & half or low-fat milk for the cream if you want a lighter option! Both make a great substitution with the added bonus of being lower in fat.
Easy as promised and ready to fill your family up on a busy week night! If you want to make it a little extra special, then garish with some extra lemon for a dinner that looks like it came straight from a restaurant kitchen!
I have been using Knorr® products for years, from their seasoning packets, to soup mixes to sides as a way to get lots of flavor fast in the dishes I make. They give you a fantastic way to make many easy meals with a lot of variety. You can see this recipe and many more like it on their page on AllRecipes.com to grab more great dinner inspiration.
I hope that your family gobbles this dinner up as fast as mine! If you make this dish, I would love to hear about it in the comments. It truly makes my day when I hear that your family loved a recipe from my site!
Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3 chicken breasts,) cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper
- 1 package of Knorr® Rice Sides™ - Herb & Butter
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream (sub half & half for a lighter option)
- 16 oz frozen broccoli florets
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium high. Add chicken, 1/2 of lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste and cook chicken 4-6 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the Knorr® Rice Sides™ to the skillet with the water, cream, and remaining lemon juice and cook on high until it comes to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the frozen broccoli, recover and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes, or until broccoli and rice are tender.
- Stir in the chicken and let rest for 2-5 minutes to thicken. Serve and enjoy!
- Tip: Garnish with additional lemon slices for a beautiful presentation.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @easyfamilyrecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #easyfamilyrecipes.