This coconut cream pie recipe will have you making pie from scratch and never turning back once you taste the delicious, creamy goodness.
Hi readers, my name is Lauren and I’m visiting today from the food blog, Tastes Better From Scratch! I had the chance to meet Kimber last summer at a blog conference, and she’s darling! I’m really excited for the chance to guest post here today–especially to share a delicious pie recipe in preparation for Thanksgiving! On my blog you’ll find I’m a true believer that everything tastes better (is usually better for you, and less expensive) homemade! I’m all about sharing easy, homemade recipes that the whole family will love!
Pie is a big deal in my family–and it’s the food I most look forward to on Thanksgiving day! Coming from a big family like mine has it’s benefits when it comes to our Thanksgiving feast. A big feast, with lots of people, means lots of pie! We have a large table set up just to display the dozens of different kinds of pie. If I had it my way, the pie would come before the turkey is even carved! I’m a huge lemon pie fan, but I also love a good coconut cream pie! This homemade recipe is amazing and really simple too!
Coconut Cream Pie from Tastes Better From Scratch
Delicious Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie crust
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 oz cream cheese, diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp coconut extract, to taste
- For Topping:
- Fresh whipped cream, lightly sweetened
- Sweetened, shredded coconut, toasted
- In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, 1/2 cup of the milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the salt.
- Set mixture over medium heat, and bring mixture nearly to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk together remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch until well blended.
- In another small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks with remaining 3 Tbsp sugar.
- Slowly pour 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly (to temper the eggs).
- Pour egg yolk mixture and cornstarch mixture into saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring vigorously, for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and coconut extract; stir until well blended.
- Stir in 1/2 - 3/4 cup coconut, reserving the rest for topping on the finished pie.
- Pour mixture into baked pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 - 3 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and the toasted coconut.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I hope you enjoy this pie during the holidays, and make sure to stop by Tastes Better From Scratch for more holiday dessert ideas like: