This Easy Chicken Piccata is a perfect recipe to change up your everyday menu. It is filled with delicious flavors of the classic Italian meal and makes it into a super quick, easy, and delicious, one dish dinner. This chicken offers a rich and tangy flavor of lemon from a classic dish you remember. This chicken was a big hit in my house and I hope it is in yours as well!!
Easy Chicken Piccata Recipe
Every time I go out to an Italian restaurant I find myself ordering the chicken piccata. I love the light and fresh flavors it offers. As I was trying to figure out a recipe for you, I wanted to make it as easy as possible. I wanted to make it simple and quick to make on those busy weeknights.
I went though lots of trials and errors as I was trying to figure this recipe out. I had a few ideas running around in my head and I finally came up with the perfect combination. This is a perfect mix of creamy, lemony goodness. While it is nowhere near authentic, it does do a really good job of taking those delicious flavors of classic chicken piccata and packing them in a WAY easier to make package.
If you really like Italian here are a few more of my favorite EASY recipes to try:
What is Chicken Piccata
Chicken Piccata is an Italian dish that is usually very light and has a strong lemon flavor. The chicken is topped with cappers to give it a salty end to the dish. The flavors are a perfect blend of sweet, with a little salty bite in the end. This casserole is super tender, juicy and will satisfy any craving your have.
What to Serve with Easy Chicken Piccata
The thing I love most about this chicken is the main dish…. the chicken is baked all in ONE dish. You can pair this dish with a wide variety of options but I will list my favorites below. You can choose simple, classic sides or choose a variety of low carb options, or even a couple of both!
Classic Sides for Easy Chicken Piccata
- Mashed Potatoes, I love these Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Angel hair pasta- This one is my kids favorite
- Bowtie Pasta
- Garlic Bread
Low Carb sides for Easy Chicken Piccata
- Sautéed Spinach
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Side Salad- try it with this Homemade Italian Dressing! It is our favorite!
- Garlic Green Beans
My families favorite side dish is on top of mashed potatoes. I personally like it on mashed cauliflower for a low carb option. If you have a favorite way to serve it, make sure to leave me a note in the comments so I can try it out!
How to Make Chicken Piccata
The best part of this chicken … next to the sauce is how easy it is to make. It makes cleanup super quick and all you have to do is wait for the delicious chicken to cook.
This recipe starts by putting your chicken breast into a baking dish. Next, take out a mixing bowl and mix the rest of the ingredients together. Smother the mixture on top of the chicken breast and top with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 2 lemon slices on each piece of chicken.
Now it’s time to bake that delicious meal!
Easy Chicken Piccata FAQ’s
Can I use chicken tenderloins, thighs, or other chicken cuts?
Yes! Other cuts of chicken will work just fine in this dish. The cooking time will most likely be reduced in these cases. When the dish is done the chicken will be 160˚F internally.
Can I make this dish healthier?
This dish is generally a wholesome dish. It is loaded with protein, low calorie and full of delicious flavors. I usually up the veggies by serving the dish with a veggies my children enjoy. Optionally, you can use a low fat cream of chicken soup, but I think the dish turns out much better with the original cream of chicken.
Is this dish gluten free?
This dish can be gluten free if you use gluten free cream of chicken soup and serve with gluten free side dishes. Most of my recipes can be modified to fit dietary concerns.
What to do with Easy Chicken Piccata Leftovers
If you have any leftovers of this dish when dinner is over, you can store them in a few different ways.
How to store Chicken Piccata
You can store the leftover chicken piccata in an air tight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator. I like to portion my leftovers in containers for a quick lunch.
How to freeze Chicken Piccata
You can freeze this either before or after cooking. To freeze before cooking, mix the sauce and place it in one freezer bag, then put the chicken in a separate bag. When you are ready to cook, thaw everything, remix the sauce and assemble and bake as directed. To freeze after cooking, store in an airtight container in meal sized portions and place in the freezer for up to a month.
Leftover Recipe Ideas for Chicken Piccata
- Baked Chicken Pasta- Combine pasta of choice, sauce from chicken, and cubed leftover chicken top with Parmesan cheese and bake at 375 for 20 min.
- Chicken Quesadilla- Use a flour tortilla, chopped chicken, spinach, and parmesan cheese.
I really hope you enjoy this delicious meal as much as my family does!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipesso that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Easy Chicken Piccata
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless skinless
- 10.5 oz Cream of Chicken soup (1 can)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 oz capers (1/2 jar)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp garlic power
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Mix the cream of chicken soup, lemon juice, capers, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Lay the chicken breasts flat on the bottom of a large casserole dish. Pour the cream of chicken soup mixture over the top and spread it evenly. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and top with two lemon slices on each chicken breast.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (160˚F internal temp) and the sides are bubbly.
- Add freshly chopped parsley over top and serve. Remove lemon slices before eating. Enjoy!
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be reduced.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Comment