This baked Grasshopper Donut is a simple chocolate and mint recipe for St. Patrick’s Day!
St. Patrick’s Day is such a fun holiday! It comes right in that long stretch between Valentine’s Day and Easter, when you’re looking for an excuse to go out and celebrate with friends and family. In my family we either head to our favorite Irish pub for a big helping of their amazing corned beef and cabbage, or I made these awesome corned beef and cabbage rolls the night before so when can have them when we get home from work. My guy is the corned beef fan in the house. I like it but what I really look forward to on St. Patrick’s Day is all of the mint chocolate desserts! Does anyone even know why mint chocolate is a thing on St. Patrick’s Day? I assume it is because of the green color. Whatever the reason, I love that it means minty , chocolate-y desserts are everywhere!
Melinda has been on a baked donut kick lately. She has already made a Hot Cocoa Donut, and Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts, so for St. Patrick’s Day I put in my request for a grasshopper donut. She didn’t let me down! The donuts are super easy because they start with a boxed cake mix. Just a few simple additions and then you pipe the batter into a donut pan and bake for 7 minutes. When they are done let them cool completely and then get to the good part…
…chocolate! There is no need to get fancy, these donuts aren’t going to last that long. Just do a nice, messy drizzle of chocolate across the top.
Then cover the donuts in crushed mint chocolate candies. OMG, these things are every bit as good as they look. They are rich, and decadent, and have just the right amount of mint flavor. It’s probably a good thing St. Patrick’s Day only comes once a year because I could eat these every day!
These baked grasshopper donuts are just the right mix of chocolate and mint.
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Vegetable oil
- ¼ Buttermilk
- ¾ Water
- 1/4 tsp Mint Extract
- 1 c Chocolate chips, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp Heavy cream
- 2 c Mint Chocolate candies, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prepare donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix all donut ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Put batter in a large piping bag and fill each donut cup ½ way. Tap pan on the counter to settle the batter.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until top of the donuts spring back when you press down on them.
- Let donuts cool for 3 minutes then remove from the pan and let cool completely.
- Heat heavy cream until boiling.
- Add to the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Drizzle chocolate over the cooled donuts and sprinkle with chopped mint chocolate candy.
If you liked these make sure you check out our Leprechaun Cookies. The kids will love making them!