There is a restaurant in my home town called the Peasant and the Pear. When I go there I either get a yummy salad, pear and brie cheese in a tortilla or their signature “San Ramon” pizza which is pear, bleu cheese and onion. Some friends of mine went a few weeks back and ever since I just cant get the pizza out of my mind! I decided it was just time to make one myself except with a few variations. It seems like every August I start to get excited for Fall. Perhaps it is the 100+ temps we experience starting in May? Nothing like pulling a little Fall straight out of your oven. Mmmm good. My pictures don’t even do the pizza justice. I took these at night and my kitchen has terrrrrrrrrrrrible lighting.
I love Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough and I usually buy a few so that I can keep them in my freezer for a lazy dinner. Every pizza I make with this dough is so fantastic and far from looking like a so called “lazy” meal though! I am a huge fan of gorgonzola too, but if you’d prefer bleu cheese, that is equally delicious! Also, all I had on hand was provolone instead of mozzarella. This is basically the sauce and you can use whatever white cheese you have as long as it is mild.
Lets get to it!
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza
- 2 ripe pears
- 16 ounce pizza dough homemade or packaged
- Walnuts about a handful
- 2.5-3 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 red onion optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- With your pizza dough on a baking sheet or pizza pan, put your provolone or mozzarella cheese layer down. If you are using onions, lay them on top of your cheese. Add your sliced pears as the next layer. Lastly, sprinkle the entire pizza with your bleu or gorgonzola cheese and walnuts
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Pizza is done when your cheese is bubbly and your crust is to your liking.
- Get creative! I have also added grapes to this pear pizza as well as spinach and chicken. .
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)