Mmmm here we go again with a 4th yummy salad for our Summer Salad Series!
My family and I just got back from a mini vacation in San Francisco and Lake Tahoe and while we were there we probably gained 15 pounds a piece. We ate everything from lemon tarts to ice cream, bacon and eggs to yes, you guessed it – SALADS! In Tahoe my husbands Aunt made my current favorite summer salad – Papaya and avocado salad with a papaya seed dressing. It sounds so fancy, but I promise it’s easy. Easy is our motto (or it should be) here on The Pinning Mama!
Next, add all of ingredients into your blender or food processor. Here I only have my dry, but my camera died and I had to charge it for a bit….darn technology. You’ll also add your papaya seeds, then blend everything together until the papaya seeds look like tiny peppercorn pieces.
*If you haven’t ever used a papaya, you can just use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Then, clean the inside out (like you would a pumpkin) a little more so that it’s ready to cut up for the salad. You can also use a sharp knife to peel the outside skin so that you can use all the “papaya meat” that’s inside. Chop up all of your veggies – butter or romaine lettuce, avocado, red onion and papaya…
Grab your bowl and throw your ingredients inside. Once your papaya seed dressing has chilled for about 30 minutes or more, drizzle it onto your salad. Serve with Susan Branch’s Lemon Linguine found here and you have yourself a pretty fantastic meal! I know we already gave suggestions for our Weekly Meal Planning here, but perhaps you should add this to the list as well?!
Papaya & Avocado Salad with Papaya Seed Dressing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup tarragon vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh papaya seeds
- Salad - 1 papaya, 1 avocado, 1 red onion, handful of pine nuts, butter lettuce or romaine.
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend until papaya seeds are like small ground peppercorns. Chill for 30 minutes or more.
- Drizzle on top of lettuce, bite size avocado, onion and papaya.
Serving Size 3 Cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Don’t forget to follow our Salad board on Pinterest! It is filled with a bunch of great salad ideas and homemade dressings.
Have you tried any of our salads yet?