We decided to go somewhere different for spring break this year. We took a trip to Canada and I must say my favorite place was Quebec City. I felt like I stepped out of my car into the streets of Europe. From the second we arrived I fell in love with this beautiful city. I’m so happy we went here for spring break and my kids still talk about this trip.
Quebec City Canada is a beautiful city with full of historic buildings. I could tell as we were driving in to stay that this was going to be my favorite place on our Canada vacation. Every where we went was like walking through the streets of France. The main language spoken is French but most people speak English as well making it easy to communicate. I will suggest one thing, go in last spring or summer. We went in early spring and it was a bit cold and snowy, but I can only imagine the beauty in late spring/summer with all the flowers and trees.
What to do in Quebec City with families
Activities that cost money
- The Citadel of Quebec– This Citadel is the largest British Fortress in North America. This is still an active base so tours are guided. The views from inside the Citadel are breathtaking and worth it. My kids loved walking around and learning all about what the Citadel was used for many years ago.
- Eat at French Bakery’s– If you’ve never had a real French croissant you are missing out. They are AMAZING!! We loved walking the streets of Old town Quebec and finding our favorite French bakeries AKA a Boulangerie to eat at. Our favorite was Paillard in Old Town Quebec City.
- Visiting the Chocolato– Who doesn’t love chocolate?? For dinner one evening we let our kids have ice cream…. it was a night to remember. Don’t miss this amazing chocolate shop that features everything from ice cream, hot chocolate, fondue, and chocolates.
Activities that are free
- Walking around Old Quebec City- Full of life and buildings similar to those in Europe, walking around Old Quebec was my favorite part. Shops, restaurants and art museums are a few of the things you will find here.
- Château Frontenac– This majestic castle hotel overlooks the St. Lawrence river and Old Quebec City. This hotel is owned and operated by Fairmont and you will not be disappointed in your stay here. The European charm is captured in every room.
- Notre-Dame Basilica– This beautiful church is in the heart of Old Quebec City. It is open year round to visitors.
- Montmorency Falls Park– These beautiful falls are located just a few miles outside of Quebec City. The falls can only be seen by foot, or cable car. The park features everything from zip lining, cable car rides, biking, hiking, picnics, playgrounds, and of course beautiful views. Don’t miss this spectacular place.
- Visit Battlefields Park– This park is very similar to Central Park in NYC. The park is the sight of many British and French clashes in history. Namely one is the 1759 Conquest which changed the fate of North America. This park is a beautiful and peaceful place to walk around and escape the hustle and bustle of the city.
As you can see there is lots to do while visiting Quebec City. We spent a total of 2 days there but we could have stayed longer. There is so many great things to do even if your just there for 24 hours. Bring your walking shoes and camera…. and an empty stomach because there is soooooo much good food.
Please comment below if you have any recommendations about visiting Quebec City. If you find yourself in Montreal Canada check out my post on the BIG list of things to do with kids.