It turns out that many of you are like me and just love to read the book before you go see the movie. There is something about the experience of reading the book in it’s entirety and comparing how you saw it in your minds eye that makes it fun and compelling to know the books off the to-read list. Of course with 3 kids running around I don’t get much time behind an actual book these days, but thankfully between my home and car I can spend lots of my “slush” time listening to audiobooks.
So many of you have viewed and shared my last post on audiobooks that have been made into movies that I thought it would be fun to do a follow up on a few more, and since Halloween is right around the corner I made this into a Halloween edition. Although I have always been a little bit of a weenie when it comes to true horror books, I have learned to love a good suspense thriller and I threw a couple of classics on the list for good measure.
I am linking all of these to Audible since it is the way I always listen to my audiobooks. I love it because unlike a regular book where you just stick in a bookmark, audiobooks can take a good long while to find your place again if you need to stop while listening. Audible is the best because their player automatically saves the place on each and every audiobook you are reading and allows you to seamlessly listen between home, computer, car, or where ever you are at the moment. If you are on the go, it is absolutely the way to go! If you haven’t tried it, check out the FREE 30 day trial here so you can see how it works and if you love it as much as I do!
Halloween Audiobooks Turned into Movies
This list is a compilation of some of my favorite audiobook thrillers, along with a few horror classics, and rounded out with a couple of recommendations I have gotten from friends. The theme here is getting all the suspense, thrills, and scares that our heart can handle for the year in the spirit of the Halloween season. Let me know if you have any favorites that I should add to my list in the comments!
- The Dark Tower– This Stephen King novel is soon to be a major motion picture starring Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba. This audiobook bridges the gap between reality and the world of dreams as the main character navigates his way through good and evil in a new land that isn’t so different than our own. This is the first part of a trilogy so if you love it, you can follow the story through two more books.
- Shutter Island– An island, a mental hospital, a murderer on the loose and a hurricane setting in. This book is the perfect storm of scary events that lead to suspense and horror from start to end.
- American Assassin- In the wake of a terrorist attack the main character decides to take things into his own hands and hunts down the terrorists responsible one by one. He becomes a CIA super-agent of sorts as he is a marvel that the extremists don’t even know exist. Unless they do… and are setting a trap to stop him.
- It– This classic horror story follows seven friends as they return to their hometown to confront the horror they first found as teens as they promised to 28 years before. What follows will keep you on the edge of your seat for the rest of the book.
- Gone Girl– This is one of my more recent favorite thrillers. This book follows the story of a seemingly perfect couple, when it becomes evident that maybe everything wasn’t so perfect when the wife disappears and the husband seems the most likely suspect. Through twists and turns you would never guess this book takes you on a roller coaster of emotions always keeping your right on the edge!
- Horns– Part horror, part suspenseful and part sci-fi, this is the ultimate book of revenge as the main character finds himself awakend after a night of drunken debauchery with horns protruding from his head. These newfound horns might just be from the devil himself when he realizes the power that accompanies them. He goes on a mission to use it all to serve revenge and justice for his murdered wife.
- Girl with the Dragon Tattoo– This powerful series keeps you guessing until the end, as a unlikely strangers are united by an elderly man looking to solve the mystery that has plagued him since most of his life. What happened to Harriet? I murdery mystery
- couldn’t stop listening to this murder mystery and was every bit as excited to see the movie when it came out!
- The Da Vinci Code- If you are a fan of historical fiction than this thriller is for you. The main character leads the seemingly predicable life of a Havard professor specializing in symbology, but when he gets a call asking for his expertise in helping to solve a murder inside the Louvre, he becomes accidentally entangled in a dangerous race to find the truth!
- The Firm– This legal thriller finds a laywer at the top of his Harvard class taking his dream job. Only his dream turns out to be nighmare when he realizes that most of the clients are on the wrong side of the law, and now he is obligated to help…. if he wants to live.
- The Shining– When the main character takes on the job as the winter care taker of a hotel he doesn’t know the secrets that the property holds. His son is plagued by psychic premonitions that begin to unravel the dark past hiding within the walls.
What do you think? Did I miss any must listens?! If so leave me a note in the comments below with your favorites or what you have on your list next. I would love to hear it! And don’t forget, if you haven’t tried out Audible yet, grab your FREE trial here!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Audible. The opinions and text are all mine.