I recently read that there are only 940 weekends from the time your child is born until the time they turn 18. I think this was meant to pack a punch and it sure did for me.
I began to think about how the days can be long but at the same time the moments are fleeting. I cannot say that I will be able to make the most of every single moment because I am not perfect, I have a smartphone that I lose myself in, I don’t always have quite enough patience as is required for that day, and sometimes I just don’t get enough sleep to be as happy as I want. BUT, reflecting on this I realized there are things I want to do for my kids every day. And if at some point over the course of a day I can spend a few minutes here and there to achieve these I think my kids will look back and know that I loved them and cherished them. I believe they will think of those 18 years with a sense of fondness, and even though, by that point they will have long ago figured out my imperfections, I might just be the perfect mom in their eyes.
10 Things I want to do for my kids each and every day
- Tell them “I love you”
- Make them laugh
- Encourage them on something they are good at
- Give them a hug
- Compliment them on something
- Challenge them to get better at something they are working on
- Be empathetic to their feelings
- Have patience
- Spend at least a few minutes with my attention solely on each kid
- Do something with them… not just with them there, but engaged together.
What so you think? How do you make the most of such little time?