Halloween is an exciting time of year for kids. My kids start thinking about Halloween costumes once school starts. Incorporating seasonal books is a great way to bring life to your young readers imaginations. You will find a big list of Halloween Books for young readers in this post.
Halloween Books for Young Readers
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson- Follow a witch and her cat on a journey to find her hat that has blown away.
- The Spooky Wheels on the Bus by J. Elizabeth Mills and Ben Mantle- This well known song has a spooky twist.
- Pete the Cat: Trick or Pete by James Dean- Pete is looking forward to Halloween but does not like to be scared.
- Pinkalicious: Pink or Treat by Victoria Kann- Pinkalicious has to find a way to bring back Halloween after the mayor has cancelled due to a storm.
- Goodnight Goon: a Petrofying Parody by Michael Rex- Bedtime is creeping up and Goon does not want anyone to sleep.
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda D. Williams- The woods can be a frightening place even for Little Old Ladies.
- Little Blue Truck’s Halloween by Alice Schertle- It’s Halloween which means everyone will be in costumes. Will Little Blue Truck dress up?
- How to Catch a Monster by Adam Wallace- Sometimes shadows or objects in our room make us think there is a monster in our closet or under our bed. This fun and creative book helps you realize things aren’t always what they seem to be.
- Splat the Cat and the Pumpkin-Picking Plan by Loryn Brantz and Catherine Hapka- We all love going to the pumpkin patch and finding the perfect pumpkin. Does Splat find just that?
- Halloween Hustle by Charlotte Gunnufson- How does a skeleton dance when he’s just made of bones? Find out in this fun book.
- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown by Kara McMahon and Charles M. Shulz-
- Vanishing Pumpkin by Tony Johnston- When a very old man and woman try to make pie their pumpkin has gone missing.
- Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich by Adam Rex- This book of poems talks about all the trials monsters have to face.
- Frank was a Monster who wanted to Dance by Keith Graves- Frank does a lot of crazy and creepy things all because he wanted to dance.
- We’re Off to Find the Witches House by Richard Krieb- Four children are determined to find the witches house but they encounter a few people along the way.
- Little Boo by Stephen Wunderli- This feel good tale is about a seed who feels he is never going to grow up.
- A Halloween Scare in Maryland by Eric James- Halloween brings out creatures of all kinds to doorsteps, what is it they are looking for?
- The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat by Stan Berenstain- The bear cubs want to venture out on their own for Halloween but they are afraid of one house on the street.
- Big Pumpkin by Eric Silverman- The Witch needs help from her friends to make a treat but nobody can help her…. which finally helps her in the end..?
- Pumpkin Jack by Will Hubbell- Tim finally carved his own pumpkin but now he’s wondering what will happen to his pumpkin once Halloween is over.
- Skeleton for Dinner by Margery Cuyler and Will Terry- Skeleton makes a mistake and tries to fix it before Big Witch and Little Witch find out.
- It’s Raining Bats and Frogs by Rebecca Colby and Steven Henry- When a little witch finds out that rain is going to ruin her Witch Parade she changes the rain to bats and frogs.
Cuddle up with a book on these crisp fall nights and enjoy a spooky story. If you have any fun Halloween books to share please comment below.