Cuddling up under the stars or swinging on a hammock, reading books with your kids is a great activity for any day. Especially when it’s warm outside and birds are chirping. I love seasonal books for kids. They can relate with what is going on around them. Help keep up your kids reading skills over the summer with this list of books. You’re sure to find a few favorites in this list, my kids have theirs and are so excited to read them as summer approaches.
One thing we do is go to our local library and rent books for the summer. You could take this list with you to help you on your search for summer book. My kids love getting a big stack of books from the library and coming home to read them. I also love that they are reading and not on their electronics.
The Big List of Summer Books
- Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses by James Dean- Wearing a cool new pair of sunglasses helps turn Pete’s day around.
- Penguin on Vacation by Salina Yoon- Tired of the winter penguin decides to make a visit to the beach.
- Sea, Sand, Me! by Patricia Hubbell- Follow a little girl while she’s on her journey at the beach.
- Summer Days and Nights by Wong Herbert Yee- Summer days can be hot and boring find out how this little girl stays cool.
- The Night Before Summer Vacation by Natasha Wing- Packing for summer vacation is a bit chaotic, does this little girl and her family forget anything important.
- Mouse’s First Summer by Lauren Thompson- Picnics in the park are always fun, join mouse on this journey.
- What Live’s in a Shell? by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld- Discover all the many animals that make a shell their home.
- Summer is Here! by Heidi Pross Gray- Summer is a time when everything is in bloom and all living things come out to play.
- A Camping Spree with Mr. Mcgee by Chris Van Dusen- Mr. Mcgee finds himself in a peculiar situation… can he get out of it.
- Fred and Ted Go Camping by Peter Eastman- Fred and Ted are complete opposites how will their camping trip go together?
- Splash, Anna Hibiscus by Antinuke- Based in Africa, Anna just wants to visit the beach and cool off.
- Arthur’s Family Vacation by Marc Brown- A little rain threatens to ruin Arthurs family vacation, can he save the vacation before its too late..?
- Let it Shine by Maryanne Cocca-Leffler- With school out its time to get outside and explore.
- Carl’s Summer Vacation by Alexandra Day- Carl explores his cabin’s surroundings with his trusty canine companion.
- How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague- Wallace spent his summer vacation unlike any other of his friends.
- Wet Dog by Elise Broach- A very hot dog finds various ways of cooling off around the city.
- Blackout by John Rocco- When the power goes out and everyone is at home, what is a family to do?
- Lucille Camps In by Kathryn Lasky- When Lucille is left behind on a camping trip with her dad, she decides to create a camp in her house with her mom.
- Roller Coaster by Marla Frazee- Read all about riding a roller coaster for the first time.
- And Then Comes Summer by Tom Brenner- Summer offers a wide variety of things… there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
- The Summer Visitors by Karel Hayes- Nestled in a summer cottage read all about the interactions between a family of bears and a human family.
- Harry By The Sea by Gene Zion- Harry has many different adventures when he is at the sea for a day.
- Marshmallow Kisses by Linda Crotta Brennan- Who doesn’t love kisses after kids have eaten s’mores.. summer is full of many amazing adventures.
- Summer is Summer by Phillis Gershator- Follow two friends as they journey through summer together.
- It’s Summer by Linda Glasser- Follow a girl on her journey to enjoy all things summer. This book even has suggestions for activities to enjoy together.
- Mouses’s Summer Muddle by Anita Loughrey- Mouse takes us on a journey through the woods.
- The Berenstain Bears Go On A Vacation by Stan & Jan Berenstain- The summer vacation for the bears is nothing short of amazing and memorable.
- The Berenstain Bears And Too Much Vacation by Stan & Jan Berenstain- The Bears are dreaming about the dreamy cabin in the woods but when they arrive their dreams are squashed.
- Summertime In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder- Now that summer is finally here after a long winter Laura gets to enjoy being outside.
I hope you find yourself cuddled up under a tree or on a blanket at the beach enjoying these books with your kids. Summer is so busy and it’s nice just to slow down every once in a while.
If you have any great suggestions for summer books for your preschooler please comment below.