Avocado Chicken Enchilada Casserole is equally creamy, delicious, and easy! Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
Remember that 3 ingredient slow cooker creamy taco chicken I shared a couple of weeks ago? That is always a hit at our house and so much so that I usually make double because there are so many delicious things you can use the chicken for. This Avocado Chicken Enchilada Casserole is one of my favorites!
This is pretty much my idea of a perfect weeknight dinner. Only a few ingredients. Easy to make. Comes together quickly. Not to mention gets gobbled up in minutes by everyone in the family! It usually makes enough for me to feed the family for a couple of extra meals, or is great to bring somewhere you need to feed a crowd. One of my other favorite things is that it is totally customizable to what the family likes (or what you happen to have on hand.) I will explain below how to do different add ins to make it perfect for your family.
To whip this up fast just follow these simple steps: First, mix together the sour cream, salsa verde, and milk together. Spread a thin layer of the mixture on the bottom of your casserole dish. Cut 6 taco sized flour tortillas in half and then use 6 halves to cover the bottom of the casserole. On top of the tortillas add a layer of shredded chicken. You can use any shredded chicken, from rotisserie, to baked, to my favorite, my extra creamy taco chicken.
Once the chicken is layered on, sprinkle a layer of avocado on top. I used one whole large avocado in my casserole. To make it quick and easy to add, I cut the avocado in half, remove the seed, then cut it into a dice while it is still in the peel. Then use a spoon to scoop it all out and you have a super easy and perfectly diced avocado! Layer the first half on the first layer and the second half on the second layer. If you have small avocados you might want to layer one avocado on each layer. Also, this casserole is super flexible. If avocado isn’t your thing, you could add corn, peppers, black beans, rotel tomatoes, or just about anything else you like in your enchiladas in on this step.
After you add your toppings of choice, spoon a generous amount (about 1/2) of the sour cream salsa mixture evenly on top. Then add a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat… Tortillas, chicken, avocado, sour cream mixture, and cheese! You can create as many layers as you want but my pan only held about two.
Bake in an oven preheated to 350˚ F for 40-50 minutes or until it is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Once you take it out of the oven, let it rest 5-10 minutes then slice it up and serve!
Freezer Meal Method
As I mentioned before, this is the perfect dish to serve a crowd because it does make a large casserole dish. If you don’t have a crowd to feed you can divide it into two 8×8 casseroles and freeze one for later. Just make each as directed above, then put one in the oven and cover the other with plastic wrap and foil and put it into the freezer until you are ready to eat it then thaw and bake. The bake time might need to be increased depending on how cold it is when you put it into the oven.
Scroll to the bottom for a full printable recipe.
Love easy family friendly dinners follow us on Facebook for many, many more!
Also, come find us on Pinterest for the best easy recipes from us and our friends! We pin the most delicious stuff we find all over the web!
Here are some more great recipes we think you just might love as much as us! Click on the photo to go straight to the yummy recipe!
Avocado Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 taco sized flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded chicken (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1-2 Avocados, diced
- 8 oz shredded Mexican blend or sharp cheddar cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, salsa verde and milk and stir until combined.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish, spread a small amount of the sour cream mixture to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Cut the tortillas in half and layer 6 half pieces (3 whole tortillas) with the flat (cut side) against the edges of the pan to cover the bottom.
- Spread half of the chicken over the tortillas, then half of the avocado on top of the chicken.
- Spoon half of the remaining sauce mixture over the chicken and avocado and then cover with half the cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients- tortillas, chicken, avocado, sauce, cheese.
- Bake at 350? F for 40-50 minutes or until it is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- After removing from the oven, let rest for 5-10 minutes and then cut and serve.
- Garnish with cilantro and tomatoes if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @easyfamilyrecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #easyfamilyrecipes.