Chicken salad is one of my favorite things to eat any day of the week. This chicken salad is loaded with juicy & tender chicken, avocado, & celery with an added crunch of almonds. The dressing for this salad is tangy but sweet to come together in a perfect marriage of flavors. Avocado Chicken Salad is a healthy alternative to regular chicken salad because there is not mayonnaise in it. This salad is sure to make your mouth water and please any crowd you are feeding. This recipe is gluten free, low carb, dairy free and perfect to bring to any potluck or brunch you have.
Easy and Delicious Avocado Chicken Salad
I love going to showers or luncheons because I know there is going to be chicken salad there. I could eat chicken salad for every lunch, so my goal is to find different spices to change it up. This is one of my favorite versions of chicken salad because the avocados take place of the mayonnaise.
By taking out the mayonnaise in this recipe, I was able to cut out calories and unhealthy fats but still enjoy the delicious flavors that we all LOVE in chicken salad.
Make sure to see all of my Healthy Chicken Recipeshere if you are looking for new lunch, dinner or meal prep ideas!
How to serve Avocado Chicken Salad
What I love about chicken salad is all the different ways you can serve it. You can eat it by itself for a quick dose of protein. Here are a few of my favorite sides:
Traditional ways to serve Avocado Chicken Salad
- Sandwich– Some of my favorited include croissant, rolls, crusty bread, baguette, Hawaiian rolls, and traditional bread
- Crackers– This is my favorite go to snack, grab a handful of crackers and dip away
- Stuffed Tomato– Hollow out a tomato and serve the salad inside
- Wraps– Choose your favorite tortilla for a delicious wholesome wrap
Low carb serving ideas
- Salad– This is one of my favorite ways to eat avocado chicken salad for a healthy alternative. I use a mixture of spring mix and romaine lettuce, a big scoop of salad, and no dressing is needed.
- Stuffed Pepper– Hollow out a bell pepper and add salad. This gives the chicken salad a nice crunch when eaten along with the pepper.
- Stuffed Avocado– What better way to eat avocado chicken salad than inside the hollowed out avocado.
- Lettuce Wrap– One of my personal on the go meals is chicken salad wrapped up in a lettuce leaf.
I hope that gives you some great options for serving your chicken salad. If you have a favorite serving suggestion that I missed, I would love for you to leave me a comment and let me know so I can try it out the next time I make this delicious chicken salad recipe.
Tips and Tricks to Making Avocado Chicken Salad
This salad is super quick and easy to through together for a wholesome meal.
- Start by combining the avocado, lemon juice and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
- I like to use fresh lemon juice because of the taste
- Next, in a larger bowl combine the chicken, celery, onions, and almonds together.
- Pour the avocado dressing over top and stir until everything is combined evenly.
- Chill for 10-15 minutes or until you are ready to serve your chicken salad. Enjoy!
FAQ’s for Avocado Chicken Salad
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes! This recipe is naturally gluten free but make sure you check your labels before buying your spices.
How do I store leftovers for Avocado Chicken Salad?
This Avocado Chicken Salad will keep in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 3-4 days and works well for meal prep. If you are making this for a brunch or potluck, I recommend making it the night before. This will give the flavors some time to marinate into the chicken.
Can I use canned chicken in place of the chicken breasts?
Yes, I have done this when I don’t have chicken cooked and ready. The flavor is going to be a bit more salty with canned chicken.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. I like to have this in my fridge for quick lunches during the week.
If you do get a chance to make it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipesso that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
Other Chicken Salad Recipes
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 3 chicken breast boneless, cooked and shredded or cubed
- 3 avocados mashed
- 1 lemon juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp Italian dressing mix
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup almond slivers
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning and mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, almonds, and onion and mix until combined. Pour the avocado dressing over top and still until evenly coated.
- Chill for 10-15 minutes or until you are ready to serve. Serve chilled and Enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)