This Greek Yogurt Chicken salad is equally wholesome and delicious! Packed with flavor, this chicken salad is perfect for stuffing sandwiches, topping salads, or eating with crackers. Made with tender chicken, crunchy celery, sweet grapes, and a dressing made from greek yogurt and seasonings, Greek Yogurt chicken salad recipe is easy to make, light enough to not weigh you down, but full of protein to keep you full throughout the day. This recipe is a crowd pleaser that has everyone from kids to adults cleaning their plates. Not only is the Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad delicious, but it is also gluten free*, dairy free, low carb, and low calorie, so it is a great choice for a picnic, potluck or feeding a crowd.
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Recipe
For years my dear friend Ashley has had the best chicken salad recipe! I LOVE chicken salad and have made it in about 100 different ways (You can see many of my chicken salad recipes here!) but hers is always a treat. It is the perfect balance of flavorful dressing with tender chicken and loaded with grapes, celery and all the good stuff!
When I had some Greek Yogurt in the fridge and wanted to try to find the best recipe for Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad, I knew that this tried and true recipe would be the one, and boy did it not disappoint!
By substituting Greek Yogurt in this recipe for mayonnaise, we are able to cut the calories and fat in this recipe to lighten it up tremendously, but still enjoy all of the delicious flavors packed into the chicken salad.
I had my doubts about whether I could eat this with a straight greek yogurt substitution, or whether I would need to do part greek yogurt and part mayo to keep the richness. The verdict was that it is still pretty crazy delicious even with all greek yogurt!
You do lose a tad of the richness that you enjoy with mayo, but the flavor that makes this chicken salad so, so good is still 100% there and helps you to not even miss the mayo. If you do want to compromise a bit more, you can also ways do half and half with mayo and greek yogurt, although I am pretty picky and didn’t think it was necessary at all!
Make sure to see all of my Healthy Chicken Recipes here if you are looking for new lunch, dinner or meal prep ideas!
How to Serve Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
There are so many ways that you can eat this chicken salad to make an easy snack or a delicious meal. I will give you some of my favorite ideas for both classic serving ideas and also some of my low carb favorites. You can’t go wrong with any of these!
Classic ways to Serve Chicken Salad
- Sandwich– Some of my favorites are on a croissant, accrusty baguette, whole wheat, or rye bread.
- Crackers- If you are serving more as a snack, place a bowl of Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad in the middle of a plate with crackers and veggies.
- Pita Chips- This is one of my favorite ways to snack on chicken salad when I get hungry throughout the day.
- Stuffed Tomato- Hollow out a tomato and then stuff it full of this Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad.
- Toast- While it is similar to a sandwich, I really like to serve chicken salad on toast open face for a great balance of bread and flavorful chicken salad.
- Wraps- Grab a wrap and load it up with greens and a hearty scoop of this Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad for a great lunch on the go.
Low Carb Chicken Salad Serving Ideas
- Salad- Serving chicken salad is one of the most classic and healthy ways to eat it! You can do a simple spring mix or make a heartier salad for a more filling meal.
- Stuffed pepper- Load up a hollowed bell pepper with this healthy chicken salad.
- Stuffed avocado- Although this Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad doesn’t have the Mexican flavors we often associate with avocados, it does go surprisingly well with this low carb option.
- Veggie “chips”- cut cucumber, zucchini, carrots, or squash into thin “chips” and pile on the chicken salad for a really healthy snack or meal.
- Lettuce wrap- Wrapping the Greek Yogurt Chicken salad in a lettuce wrap gives you an easy, on-the-go healthy meal option.
This just skims the surface of all of the ways that you could serve this dish! If you have a favorite serving suggestion that I missed, I would love for you to leave me a comment and let me know so I can try it out the next time I make this delicious chicken salad recipe.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
This chicken salad recipe is super simple! I will walk through all of my notes and tips with you below. You can find the full printable recipe card with nutrition info at the bottom of this post.
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 3 chicken breasts- This will be about 3 cups of chicken breast chopped or shredded. You can also use rotisserie chicken which is both easy and flavorful!
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped- I like to load my chicken salad up with celery because it gives the chicken salad a great texture and adds a lot of bulk to it, so that it goes much farther, without adding almost any cost, calories, or fat. You can add more than one cup if you want to make the the chicken salad go farther as well. Just make sure to chop it really finely so that it is easy to eat!
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup seedless grapes, quartered- You can use red or green, I have used both and enjoy both in the salad
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds- Use slivered or sliced almonds to add some crunch. You can use them raw or toast them if you prefer.
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced- I prefer fresh parsley for this recipe, but if you are in a pinch you can use 1 tsp dried
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt- I use the regular plain greek yogurt, but you can also use non-fat.
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice- Use fresh! It really makes a difference in taste!
- 1 packet (.7 oz) Good Seasons Italian dressing mix or 2 Tbsp homemade Italian Dressing Mix– You can use either with great results in this salad. If you are gluten free you will want to make sure to use the homemade version, as newer Good Seasons mixes have gluten in them.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad – Tips
- I always like to mix the seasonings into the yogurt before combining with the salad ingredients. This allows all of the seasonings to be very evenly distributed throughout the salad without having to over mix it.
- Also, if you want to add some of the richness back into the salad, you can use 1/2 cup greek yogurt and 1/2 cup mayonnaise.
- If you are making this for a potluck, picnic, brunch, shower or other group, I recommend making it the night before to let the flavors really combine well before serving.
- This Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad will keep in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 3-4 days and works well for meal prep.
I hope that you love this lightened up Chicken Salad as much as we do! It is a warm weather staple and I am so excited for you to try it.
If you do get a chance to make it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
Yield 6 cups
This Greek Yogurt Chicken salad is packed with flavor, wholesome, and delicious. It is light enough for a lunch on the run but filling enough to hold you through the day. This Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad is perfect for loading up sandwiches, topping salads, or eating with crackers.
- 3 chicken breasts, shredded or chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup grapes, quartered
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 packet (.7 oz) Good Seasonings Italian dressing mix -OR- 2 Tbsp Homemade Italian Dressing Mix (see note)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine the chicken, celery, green onions, grapes, almonds, and parsley in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the greek yogurt, lemon juice, Italian dressing mix, salt and pepper and mix until combined.
- Pour the greek yogurt mixture over the chicken mixture and then toss to coat. Chill for at least 1 hour, then serve chilled. Enjoy!
- If you are gluten free, make sure to use the Homemade Italian Dressing Mix. Some Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mixes do contain Soy and Wheat products.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 The Pinning Mama- Recipe found at: https://www.thepinningmama.com/greek-yogurt-chicken-salad/
For more great easy dinner inspiration, sign up for our emails here!
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Unsaturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Sodium 563 mg
Total Carbohydrates 7 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 18 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.