If you have a sweet spot for Valentine’s Day, these easy-to-make Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Hearts are a delicious treat!
Hi, I’m Ginnie from Hello Little Home, and I’m back with another fun recipe. One of my favorite holidays is just around the corner, and I’m already getting swept up in everything pink and heart-shaped.
These Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Hearts are the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day or just to show someone you care. I’ll even show you how to package them to make a simple Valentine.
Shortbread is one of my favorite cookies. It’s rich, buttery, and seems to melt in your mouth. It’s also very easy to make with just a few ingredients that you probably have in your pantry.
Now, shortbread is amazing on its own, but it’s even better dipped in chocolate. What isn’t, really?!?
For this recipe, I dipped about half of the cookies in chocolate and then used a spoon to drizzle chocolate over the remaining hearts. They look super-fancy, but couldn’t be simpler to make!
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Hearts
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer). Cream until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and salt to butter. Blend together.
- Pour flour into bowl and mix just until blended.
- Gather dough and place on floured board.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin to about 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a 3-inch heart-shaped cutter to cut out cookies.
- Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Gather dough scraps and roll again so you can cut out more cookies.
- Bake cookies until they begin to get golden around edges, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
Dip cookies in chocolate:
- Break chocolate into medium pieces and place in a small bowl.
- Microwave chocolate for 1.5 minutes at 50%, stir.
- Continue microwaving and stirring chocolate at 20 second intervals until only small pieces of chocolate remain.
- Stir chocolate until smooth.
- Dip cookies into chocolate or use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over cookies. Store on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Place cookies in freezer until chocolate sets. Enjoy immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
I love to give these chocolate-covered cookies out as a special Valentine’s Day treat.
All you need are small brown paper bags and washi tape. Simply place a cookie in each bag, fold over the top, and seal with the washi tape. There’s even room to write a name or note above the tape.
Don’t you just want to take a bite (or three)?
If you like these Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Hearts, you’ll enjoy these projects, too!
Hi, I’m Ginnie, and I blog over at Hello Little Home! I’m a married New Yorker with a creative streak, and I love to write about some of my favorite things: food, DIY, fashion, interior design, travel, and more.