These Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas are a DELICIOUS twist on classic chicken fajitas. All of the best flavors from fajitas are combined into a rich cheesy mixture that the chicken bakes in to create a quick, easy, and mouth watering meal. Made in one dish, these Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas can be prepped and in the oven in as little as 10 minutes and then after you enjoy them, there is minimal mess to clean up. As a bonus, not only are these quick, easy and most importantly, delicious, but this recipe is also gluten free and low carb!
Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Chicken Fajitas are a well loved Mexican dish comprised of chicken rubbed with spices cooked with peppers and onions, traditionally made in a cast iron skillet. This recipe takes the flavors we love from traditional fajitas and envelopes them in a creamy sauce.
The recipe is made simple by baking these chicken fajitas in creamy sauce with the peppers and onions in the oven which makes the dish quick and easy both for preparing the meal and cleaning up afterwards.
These Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas are great for the whole family, and definitely kid-approved, and are also an excellent gluten free and low carb option. You are able to pair this recipe with different sides to meet any number of dietary needs and taste preferences.
How to Serve Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas
Since these Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas are closer to a casserole than their traditional inspiration, they tend to be more of a fork and knife meal than a finger food. Combined with a few sides, this is a filling and delightfully wholesome meal!
Traditional Sides for Chicken Fajitas
Traditionally, fajitas are accompanied by a plate of condiments, and rice and beans. These can be used to top the creamy fajitas or roll them up in a tortilla, as well, or you can check out my low carb options below as well.
- Pico de gallo
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sour cream
Low Carb Sides for Baked Chicken Fajitas
You can eat these creamy chicken fajitas and keep it low carb too by pairing it with a few of these options:
- Cauliflower rice
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Sautéed spinach
- Lettuce wraps (I like butter lettuce)
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
How to Make Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas
This recipe is super simple! I am going to walk through an overview here and talk through a few tips I use making this recipe, and hopefully answer any questions that might arise while making this recipe. For the FULL recipe card, scroll down to the bottom of this post.
First lay the chicken breast in a large casserole dish. It helps to make sure the dish is big enough so the chicken can lay flat. If the chicken breasts are thicker than about 1/2 inch I like to cut them in half or pound them so that they are about half the thickness. This will help them to cook more quickly and evenly, and help the meat to be more tender.
For the veggies, I like to cut the onions in a fine dice to they cook as quickly and become as sweet as possible. I like to cut the peppers in a much larger dice so that they cook slower and don’t become overly cooked and get mushy. Basically, the smaller the dice, the quicker and more cooked the veggie will get!
Next combine the cream cheese, sour cream and fajita seasoning and blend until smooth. Then stir in the shredded chicken, onions, and peppers until everything is combined. If you are looking to lighten up the recipe a bit, you can use light cream cheese or sour cream. Fat free versions are not recommended for this recipe as they don’t melt in the same way and have a poor result.
I always recommend that you use my Homemade Fajita Seasoning, one because it is just so delicious, but two because it is gluten free, low carb, filler free and just the perfect blend of spices. You can even make a big batch and keep it on hand to use for up to a year!
Spread the mixture over the chicken and then top with cheese. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cream cheese mixture is nice and melted.
Once you remove the dish, there will be liquid in the bottom that has released while the chicken bakes. You can either VERY carefully drain the excess or just use a spatula and lift the chicken, toppings and all out of the liquid. You can also save the liquid as it is very flavorful and spoon it over the rice, cauliflower or what ever else you are serving it with to add a little extra boost of flavor.
What to do with Leftover Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas
Leftover Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas reheats well the next day for leftovers, or can be given a “makeover” into a new meal to serve again another night. To save leftovers, package them in an airtight container and place in the:
- refrigerator for 3-4 days
- the freezer for up to a month
Leftover Recipes for Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas
There are several really tasty meals that can be made with leftovers from these Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas. Your family might not even guess they are eating leftovers!
- Baked Chicken Fajita Tostadas– Shred the leftover chicken and mix it with the creamy topping. Spread a layer of refried beans on a tostada shell, then scoop on a generous spoonful of creamy chicken fajita meat, top with a little cheese and bake at 400˚F until the chicken is heated through and the cheese is melted. Top with shredded lettuce, and your choice of pico, guacamole, and sour cream.
- Creamy Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers– Shred the leftover chicken and mix it with the creamy topping. Mix the chicken mixture in a 1:1 ratio with prepared rice or cauliflower rice. Cut the tops off of bell peppers and hollow the insides. Stuff the chicken mixture in each pepper to the top. Place in a baking dish standing upright with 1 cup of chicken broth in the bottom. Cover the top of the dish with foil and bake at 350˚F for 35-45 minutes or until the peppers are tender and the chicken is heated through. Optional: In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, remove the foil and top each pepper with a little cheese. Garnish with cilantro.
- Baked Creamy Chicken Fajita Flautas– Shred the leftover chicken and mix it with the creamy topping. Stir in black beans (drained and rinsed) and corn to taste. Place a strip of the chicken mixture down the middle of a flour tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly around the mixture and then place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with a very thin layer of vegetable oil and bake at 400˚F for 10-15 minutes, or until the tortilla is golden brown around the edges and crispy.
- Baked Chicken Fajita Burrito Bowls– Shred the leftover chicken and mix it with the creamy topping. Fill the bottom of a bowl with rice or cauliflower rice. Top with a generous scoop of the creamy chicken fajita mixture and then finish with your favorite burrito toppings such as beans, salsa, lettuce, pico, cheese, guacamole, and sour cream.
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
If you enjoyed this recipe, I have many more great easy chicken recipes! I hope you are able to try a few more!
Family Friendly Chicken Recipes
Low Carb Chicken Recipes
I really hope you enjoy this Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas recipe as much as we do!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! Not only does it make my day, but it also helps my website when you leave a review!
You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up.
Creamy Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 2 bell peppers medium sized, any color
- 1/2 onion medium
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Lay the chicken breast flat in a large baking dish. If the chicken breast is thicker than about 1/2", cut it in half, or pound it so that it is half the thickness.
- Chop the bell peppers into a large dice. Chop onion into a fine dice. Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chicken and smooth so it is evenly covered.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the dish. Then bake, uncovered, at 375˚F for 35-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (165˚F internal temp.)
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
- There will be liquid released from the chicken in the bottom of the pan after cooking. You can lift the chicken out to serve, or very carefully drain the liquid before serving.
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be reduced.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
This recipe is naturally gluten free, low carb, and friendly for low carb and keto diets. Please use homemade fajita seasoning and check all packages of products bought to ensure compliance.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.
©2018 The Pinning Mama- Recipe found at: https://www.thepinningmama.com/
For more great easy dinner inspiration, sign up for our emails here!