This 3 ingredient Creamy Taco Chicken made in the crock pot is the perfect recipe for a hectic day! It comes together quickly and is delicious! You can even make this same slow cooker chicken into enchiladas, scroll to the bottom for the recipe!
******* BREAKING NEWS: I have been so overwhelmed at the response to this post and all the people who have told me that they LOVE this recipe because it is so easy & delicious so I decided to start an Instagram account (like today) dedicated to bringing you simple recipes that can be made quickly with only a few ingredients! I would love for you follow me there! Find me on IG as @easyfamilyrecipes *******
One thing I HAVE to have in my recipe arsenal are quick and easy recipes for those days I know are just going to be C-R-A-Z-Y! There are few things I love more in life than throwing a few things in a crockpot and coming home to a finished dinner. This recipe is one of my favs. Let me tell you why! First, it only has 3 ingredients which means I almost always can have them handy- no forgetting that one thing… oops! Next, it is such a versatile base recipe. You can make a big pot of this creamy taco chicken and then reuse it for many different meals down the road. If you haven’t heard how much I love repurposing leftovers, you definitely should check out my post on this Spinach Artichoke Dip! Lastly, its just plain delicious! Everyone in my family will eat it and we all clean our plates. Big win!
So here it is… short and sweet. Add 1 can of Rotel Tomatoes (I use original, but you can use other flavors to suit your families taste) to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Let it cook on low in your slow cooker for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before it is done open the lid and use forks or a pair of tongs to stir and shred the chicken. This should be very easy at this point. Then add 4 oz (1/2 brick) of cream cheese. Don’t stir the cheese in, just leave it in there for the remainder of the 30 minutes. When the final timer goes off stir the cheese (which will now be perfectly softened and prevent any lumps) into the meat mixture.
That really is all there is to it! It is creamy, flavorful and wonderful! I like to serve it the first night I make it in tacos. Just set up a bar with tortillas, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, cilantro or whatever your family likes and let them go to town. In my house there is no better way to get the kids to eat their dinner than letting them make it themselves! So have fun with it!
Scroll down for a full printable recipe and in the mean time, stay tuned next week for another great way to use this creamy taco chicken. As a matter of fact, you might even want to make a double batch for all the things you can do with this yummy taco meat!
*** UPDATE: Here are some great options to make with the leftovers from this recipe!
You can find more easy weeknight meals and yummy treats on our recipe page AND make sure to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest, where we share all of our delicious creations first! Here are some recent favorites (click on photo to get recipe):
- 3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Can Original Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilis
- 4 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese (can sub light)
- Place the chicken breasts in your slow cooker and cover with the Rotel Tomatoes.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- minutes before the end of the cook time, use tongs or a fork to stir and shred the chicken breast.
- Place the 4 oz brick of cream cheese on top of the chicken (do not stir)
- When the final timer goes off stir the softened cream cheese into the meat until well combined.
- Serve as tacos, on a salad, in quesadillas, over rice, in a casserole, as enchilada filling, or any way your heart desires!
- ½ batch Crock Pot Creamy Taco Chicken (
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained.
- 1 can corn drained.
- 12-18 corn tortillas
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 8 oz cheddar or mexican blend cheese
- 1 tbsp oil
- Stir the corn and black beans into the chicken.
- Optional: Lightly fry each tortilla in a small amount oil in a frying pan.
- Roll about 2-3 tbsp of meat mixture into each corn tortilla and lay in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Cover with enchilada sauce and cheese and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven when cheese is melted and starting to brown, then serve topped with your choice of shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.