I’m always on the hunt for healthy delicious meals. I love zucchini and this recipe is LOADED with flavor. Italian Zucchini Boats are full of those Italian flavors we love without all the added calories of pasta. This recipe is wholesome for the whole family to enjoy, full of flavor, gluten free and low carb.
EASY Italian Zucchini Boats
Whenever I mention the word zucchini, my kids make a funny face. I decided to try zucchini boats for dinner one evening and they ate every last bit of it. I told them after dinner that they just ate zucchini. By adding flavor to vegetables you can get even the pickiest eater to try it.
These Italian Zucchini Boats are the perfect way to lighten up your regular pasta night. Zucchini boats really are the perfect meal, light enough for the summer, but warm and flavorful to make a great fall and winter dinner too.
What to Serve with Italian Zucchini Boats
This recipe is simple to make. When choosing sides for this meal, I always try to keep them simple and light. This recipe is one of our favorite quick meals for those busy summer nights. Try low carb side items to keep the whole meal lighter, or do a combo of both traditional or low carb to satisfy all the appetites at the table that night.
Low Carb Sides
- Side Salad
- Roasted Vegetables
- Sautéed Green Beans
- Carrots with Ranch
If you have a serving suggestion that you love and I missed here, let me know in the comments. I would love to try it out!
Tips for Making Italian Zucchini Boats
I promise you this recipe is easy and quick. I am going to walk though my notes and tips with you here to hopefully answer any questions that may come up and you can find the FULL recipe card with nutrition info at the bottom of this post.
- Preheat the Oven to 350 degrees
- Sauté the onion, mushroom, cauliflower rice and garlic over medium heat until soft. Add the ground turkey and Italian seasoning and continue to cook.
- You can replace ground turkey with ground chicken or beef, whatever you desire.
- Once the meat is done cooking, add the marinara sauce reserving 1 cup for the topping, mix until well combined.
- When I am buying marinara sauce I look for sauce with the least amount of added sugars.
- Cut off the end of each zucchini and then cut in half length-wise. Use a spoon or melon baller to hollow out the center.
- The part you need to hollow out is the middle where the seeds are.
- Fill each zucchini with a scoop of the meat mixture, top with marina and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25-35 minutes, then remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
FAQ’s for Italian Zucchini Boats
How many boats do I serve each person?
In our house, we eat 2 boats for adults and 1 boat for each child.
How do I store leftovers for Italian Zucchini Boats?
You can put the leftovers (if you have any!) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
I really hope that you enjoy this Italian Zucchini Boat recipe as much as we do!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipesso that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Italian Zucchini Boats
- 6 zucchini squash
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup mushroom finely chopped
- 2 cups riced cauliflower not cooked
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Sauté the onion, mushroom, and cauliflower rice and garlic over medium heat until soft. Add the ground turkey and Italian seasoning and and continue to cook, stirring and breaking up the meat until the meat is cooked. Add the marinara sauce, reserving 1 cup for the topping, and stir to combine.
- Cut the ends off each zucchini and then cut it in half length-wise. Use a spoon or melon baller to hollow the center (part with the seeds) out of the zucchini. Place each zucchini on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Fill each zucchini with a scoop of the meat mixture and top with marinara sauce and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 25-35 minutes, then remove foil and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- To serve, remove from baking sheet, garnish with fresh parsley if desired, and enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)