Raise your hand if you love stuffed jalapeños? This recipe contains those delicious flavors you will find in Jalapeño Poppers. Jalapeño Pepper Chicken and Rice is LOADED with tender chicken, jasmine rice, layers of cream cheese and topped with jalapeños and cheddar cheese. Let’s not forget the final flavor is crispy bacon on top. This dish is naturally gluten free.
Easy and Delicious Jalapeño Popper Chicken and Rice
My favorite recipes to create are easy chicken bakes and this one is currently my husbands favorite because it is so filling and flavorful. This recipe was created because I wanted to make an appetizer into a meal!
This inspiration for this recipe came from my Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole. My kids and husband love chicken and rice, and this has a fun twist on that very dish.
Not only is this recipe delicious but it is super easy to make. The longest amount of time you will spend on this recipe is the time it takes to bake it.
How to serve Jalapeño Popper Chicken and Rice
This dish is so hearty it can be served by itself for a wholesome meal, but I will share with you some of our favorite sides to serve with this dish.
Traditional Serving Options:
- Corn Bread
- Garlic Toast
- Side Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Sautéed Spinach
- Roasted Vegetables (Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, or Sautéed Green Beans
Tips and Tricks to Making Jalapeño Popper Chicken and Rice
I love this recipe because it is super easy to prepare and a tasty one dish meals. I am going to run through an overview here and add some notes that might be helpful for you while making the dish. Make sure to get the FULL recipe at the bottom.
- Cut the chicken into small chunks and make sure you trim off all the fat. (I recommend using chicken breasts because they are tender when baked).
- Combine the cream cheese and chicken broth in the baking dish and whisk until combined.
- Next, add the rice and jalapeño and mix.
- Place the chicken chunks on top of the mixture, gently press the chicken down until it is covered in the sauce. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake the casserole covered for 50 minutes, uncover the casserole add bacon and bake another 5-15 minutes. Enjoy!!
FAQ’s for Jalapeño Popper Chicken and Rice
Can I use other cuts of chicken?
Yes, but the baking time may be a little different because the chicken pieces will be a bit thinner. The smaller you cut the chicken the quicker it will cook.
Is this dish spicy or how can I control the level of heat?
This is a BIG one! How the jalapeños are prepared will determine how much heat this dish has. First you will wash the jalapenos, then if you want the dish to be mild, trim all of the seeds and ribs out of the peppers before slicing, If you want a little more heat, leave some seeds and ribs. The more seeds and ribs left in the peppers, the hotter the end dish will be. I sliced out all the seeds and ribs from mine and my small children ate it without complaints of it being spicy.
How do I store Jalapeño Popper Chicken and Rice
If you have leftovers from this delicious dish you store the leftovers a few different ways. I like to portion the leftovers out for meal prepping meals during the week. My husband likes to take these containers to work for lunches.
- You can store this casserole in the refrigerator in airtight containers for up to 4-5 days.
- You can freeze this casserole in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
I really hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as our family did! It is such a treat to have a meal that is both easy to make and really delicious to eat. If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign upor on the button below.
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Jalapeño Popper Chicken and Rice
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice or 2 cups quick cooking rice (uncooked)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked crispy and crumbled
- Trim any excess fat or gristle off of the chicken and cut it into 2 inch chunks.
- Combine the cream cheese and chicken broth in a large baking dish and whisk until combined.
- Add rice, and jalapeño peppers and mix to evenly combine. Lay the chicken pieces on top of the mixture and gently press until covered. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake covered at 375˚F for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and add crumbled bacon over the top and continue to cook uncovered for an additional 5-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with more fresh jalapeño slices if desired. Then serve warm and enjoy!
- If you use quick cooking rice instead of jasmine rice you may be able to reduce the cooking time to 40-45 minutes.
- Other cuts of boneless skinless chicken can be used such as chicken thighs or chicken tenderloins.
- Leftovers can be saved for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to a month in the freezer.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Comment