These mexican appetizer cups are so dang delicious! They’re one of my favorite things to make for superbowl parties! I found the original Pillsbury recipe a few years ago and while I am sure it’s delicious, I have made my own personal changes to make it better. The only hard part about making these is that you have to break the biscuits into layers, but I promise it’s not actually hard; it does take a little time though. You can also use this mixture as a chip dip instead of the trusty ole spinach and artichoke dip that appears at most parties! Also, I apologize for my horrendous photos. I was running out the door and didn’t have time to set up the stage for them to look pretty for a photo shoot. That sounds like a joke, but in blog land it’s so so true.
- Once you have squeezed the water from your spinach, mix all ingredients together except for the Doritos.
- Crush your Doritos and add to the spinach mixture.
- Separate your JUNIOR biscuit layers into 2 or 3 pieces. Sometimes you can only get 2 layers, and that is ok. Just take that into account when you’re figuring out how many you need. You can also use regular sized biscuits, but you’ll have a more biscuity (that’s a foodie term, I swear). Just split them into 3 or 4 layers instead of 2 or 3.
- Place 1 layer in each muffin cups and press dough on bottom and up the side of each cup.
- Fill each cup with about 1 Tbsp spinach mixture. Sprinkle filling in each cup with about 1 tsp cheese.
- In a preheated 375 degree oven, bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of biscuits are golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. tick tock. tick tock.
Optional: Add 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken, cooked ground beef, or ground turkey
Mexican Appetizer Cups
- 1 frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- Softened cream cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2-whole packet of taco seasoning
- Approx 20 Doritos in a small ziplock (just fill the bag)
- 2 cans (12 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® biscuits (20 biscuits)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 30 mini muffin cups. In large bowl, mix spinach, tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning mix; set aside.
- Place Doritos in a small ziplock bag and seal. Finely crush the chips to measure 1/2 cup. Stir crushed chips into the spinach filling.
- Separate 1 can of dough into 10 biscuits; separate each biscuit into 3 layers. Sometimes you can only separate them into 2 and that is totally fine. Just take that into account that you're one less mexican cup. Place 1 layer in each muffin cups and press dough on bottom and up side of each cup.
- Fill each cup with about 1 Tbsp spinach mixture. Sprinkle filling in each cup with about 1 tsp cheese. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of biscuits are golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Optional: Add 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken, cooked ground beef, or ground turkey