Block Island is a beautiful little island tucked away in New England. This small island is only six miles long and offers rocky shores and beautiful stretches of fine sandy beaches. If you want to feel like you’ve escaped to a small European getaway.. this is your place. There is so much charm and character throughout the island. My husband and I took a day trip to this island but we definitely could’ve spent more time enjoying the sites of this beautiful place.
This was by far one of my most favorite day dates yet, and I have been on a lot of them lately with my Husband. You could bring your family for the weekend or sneak away with your husband for some much needed alone time.
Things to do in Block Island, RI
- Southeast Lighthouse– Located on the Mohegan Bluffs in the southeast corner of Block Island this stunning brick lighthouse is a must stop along your journey. Built in 1875 this lighthouse has been named a National Historical Monument.
- Mohegan Bluff– Located in the Southern show of the island these cliffs reach about 150ft in height. Take the steep staircase down to the bottom of the cliffs to the ocean. These cliffs got their name for the battle of Monegan and the Niantic which took place in the 16th century.
- Block Island North Light– Made out of granite and iron this lighthouse was built in 1829. This lighthouse is located in the most northern part of the island.
- Fred Benson Town Beach– This beach has been named one of the best beaches for families. Once I stepped foot on this beach I never wanted to leave. The white sand was unlike anything I’ve ever stepped foot on. This beach offers bathrooms, showers, ice-cream and a low surf.
- Mansion Beach– Known for it’s picturesque scenery this beach offers big waves. Located off a small dirt road this beach is one of a kind and less likely to be crowded.
- Crescent Beach- This beach is a stretch of white sands beach located on the east side of the island.
- Rodman’s Hollow– Filled with trees and shrubs and paths leading to the beach, this is a great place to spend an afternoon exploring.
- National Wildlife Refuge– This refuge provides a wildlife habitat for birds of all kinds. Stretching over 134 acres this is a site to see. This refuge is known as one of the main migratory stop for birds on the east coast, attracting hundreds of different birds in the fall.
- Moped rentals– If you’re not bringing your car over on the ferry renting a moped is the way to go. Block island is not very large but it is has a lot of hills. We found the best way to see everything is by moped. They have a lot of options to rent mopeds right off the ferry making it easy to start your journey.
- Bike rentals– If your feeling like you need extra exercise or are feeling adventurous……renting a bicycle is for you. Bikes are affordable and can be rented hourly or by the day.
Whatever adventure you choose on Block Island you will not be disappointed. What makes Block Island great is not just one thing but is the culmination of all of it. This truly is a great way to spend a day or two with your family.
Leave a Comment