Newport, RI is a beautiful city tucked away in New England. It’s full of history, lighthouses and beautiful beaches, but it has has so much more to offer for families. Every time I visit I definitely fall more and more in love with it, and my kids love it here.
Every time I researched what to do I felt like I was lost in all the websites. I’m compiling a list of family friendly activities for you if you find your way in Newport. I truly had no idea this gem of a place we were moving too.
What to do in Newport RI with Kids
- The Newport Cliff Walk– A beautiful walkway nestled on the side of a cliff…. you find yourself looking at stunning mansions on one side, and a never-ending ocean on the other. This may sound scary and not family friendly but it is, the cliff side next to the ocean has a fence the majority of the way. I would say my biggest advice for this walkway is that it’s not stroller friendly the whole way. You can manage with a stroller about half of it but the other half is rocky and has a good number of stairs. My kids usually only make it half the way, then we turn around but it’s beautiful how ever long are on it. We always try and make it fun every time we walk this trail by having our kids search for things along the way. This trail/walkway is a total of 3.5 miles one way. This walkway is considered one of Newports key attractions.
- Exploration Center & Aquarium– Your kids can discover the marine life of Narragansett Bay in this interactive aquarium. You can get up close and personal with all sorts of marine life. This discovery center is not very big but its full of small touch tanks for kids. Located off of Easton’s beach… actually it’s on the beach, this is a great getaway to get out of the sun for a bit. Or if it’s cold and rainy what better way to get out than an interactive aquarium. My kids loved this place. After you get done at the aquarium if you make your way up the stairs you will find a carousel that overlooks the ocean. How cool is that??
- Newport Mansions– Every mansion I stepped foot into took me on a mini vacation to Europe. Each house has guided tours, whether its by a headset or an actual tour guide. We have visited these mansions multiple times and trust me you do not want to miss it… even if you don’t make it to all of them … make sure you at least see one. My favorite is the Breakers.
- Sailing Excursions– Sail Newport offers sailing excursions for kids or adults. Book now because they fill up fast. Classic Cruises of Newport is another way to take in the fabulous views of the Newport Harbor, and Narragansett Bay. They offer a wide variety of different boats and times so check out which would work best for your family.
- Fort Adams State Park– This is the largest Fortress in North America. There is so much to explore and do in Fort Adams. You can enjoy it all year round. They also offer guided tours, and not to mention we have seen the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen while at Fort Adams. We enjoyed sledding here when it snowed as well…… great hills.
- Ryan Family Amusements– Enjoy an evening playing arcade games with the family. Featuring over 50 great arcade games you’re sure to have a great night.
- Newport Dinner Train– Hop on board Rhode Islands only moving dinner train. Step back in time as you enjoy Newports fine dining on a train. They also offer an Ice cream train in the summer…..my kids would be in heaven on that train.
- International Tennis Hall of Fame– This fun museum preserves and promotes the history of tennis and honors it’s champions. This museum features over 1900 artifacts. Enjoy this museum year round.
- Newport Creamery– Good food at a great place, Newport Creamery is a must attraction to visit. And make sure you order the Awful Awful shake to try as well. My kids love their kids meals and it includes an ice-cream sundae…. so its a score all around.
- Brenton Point State Park– This park is full of walking trails, gardens, and picnic tables. What better way to spend an afternoon than here with a picnic exploring the scenery and staring at the ocean while eating.
- Redwood Library– This library is known as the oldest operating library in North America. You are your kids can enjoy story time or open play for toddlers. This library offers many youth programs to keep your kids busy as well.
- Easton’s Beach– Nestled near the cliff walk in a cove is Easton’s Beach. With beautiful scenery all around you can enjoy this beautiful beach and all it has to offer. Theres a snack bar, vintage carousel ride and playground located here as well which opens around May. The beach is open year round as long as you can handle the cold.
- Green Animals Topiary Garden– This beautiful garden is the oldest in the United States. This amazing place has a sampling of topiaries, vegetables and herb gardens, orchards and a Victorian House. Open seasonally so check the website for schedules.
Seasonal Activities in Newport RI
- Apple Picking in the Fall– Our favorite place to pick apples in the fall is Rocky Brook Orchard in Middletown. My kids loved this activity. I think for a month they ate atleast 2 apples a day because they were so proud of what they had picked. There’s nothing quite like a freshly picked apple. You can follow my bucket fall list here for more ideas on fall activities.
- Pumpkin Patch at Sweet Berry Farm– Always a must during the fall, your kids can enjoy strolling through patches looking for that “perfect” pumpkin.
- Breakfast with Santa Train– Enjoy a delicious breakfast with Santa as you ride the train for Approximately 1hr and 30 min. Space is limited so make sure you sign up in early Fall.
- Berry Picking– Enjoy delicious Blackberries, Blueberries, Strawberries, and Raspberries picked by yourself at Sweet Berry Farm. During berry season, which usually starts late June, your family can pick all the berries they desire. My kids loved this activity and it made them want to help prepare them in different ways in the kitchen.
- Ice Skating in Downtown Newport during the winter months- Starting in December and running through the end of January.. the Newport outdoor skating rink is a dreamy spot to spend an evening under the lights skating.
- Christmas in Newport– Newport is a dreamy place but add Christmas lights and it brings it to a whole new level. During the month of December Newport offers so many different and fun Christmas activities that are sure to bring the Holiday spirit to you family. Check out the website for all of the dates. Don’t forget to check out the Newport mansions during Christmas. Every room is full of color and cheer.
I hope you find this list helpful and inspire you to visit Newport RI. It truly is a magical place tucked away in the bottom corner of New England.
If you have any great ideas or must see places in Newport comment below I love hearing from all of you.