This quick and easy breakfast recipe will become a quick favorite if you love nachos as much as we do! Crispy tortilla chips are layered with eggs, bacon, enchilada sauce and a few other ingredients to make a breakfast to feed 2 or feed a crowd in just minutes.
Nachos people. Nachos for breakfast.
Life is complete.
To be perfectly candid about it, I really love nachos. We make them in all sorts of flavor combinations like classic, bbq chicken, spinach artichoke, buffalo, you name it… I have probably made it into a nacho.
You see nachos are completely delicious. They may get a little bit of a bad wrap for being unhealthy, but the way I see it, anything I call a nacho my kids will eat and with all of those layers of cheese and chips, you can hide an awful lot of veggies and really healthy things my kids would completely complain about eating otherwise.
So I think nachos are perfectly suited for dinner say at least once a week or so, but then I realized I might completely be missing out. I mean why was I only eating nachos for dinner? Why not breakfast? WHY?!
A little over a year ago, my husband completely surprised me with the trip of a lifetime to Mexico for our 10 year anniversary. We relaxed, read, enjoyed the sun and each other’s company. And we ate. And ate. And ate.
You probably know by now, that eating my way through anywhere we travel is my favorite way to spend my time. And let me tell you one of the best things we had at the resort was the chilaquiles. If you have never had the pleasure of eating this, it is basically it is fried corn tortillas topped with eggs, chicken, red sauce and cheese. We were slightly obsessed with this and made it a point to eat them almost every day of the trip.
The problem was when we got back there was no more waiters bringing me delicious authentic Mexican breakfasts when I woke up. So I decided to make my own super quick and easy, family friendly version of this dish as our very own breakfast nachos. It isn’t quite authentic chilaquiles but it is delicious and kid approved!
The other thing I really love about this recipe is that it is easy to scale to make for 2 or 20 with very little time and effort. Just a few ingredients and a few minutes and you are on your way to a hot, yummy breakfast.
Breakfast Nachos Recipe
First gather your ingredients. I am not listing quantities because you can eyeball it, and just use more or less of everything to make it for more or less people. This is not by any means a scientific endeavor.
- Tortilla chips
- Scrambled eggs- you can make these ahead of time and reheat if you want, I used about 6 eggs on the pan pictured
- Bacon crumbles- I also make this ahead of time using this easy oven bacon method
- Diced green chilis- I used a 4oz can of Old El Paso chilis on this whole pan pictured. Old El Paso is my favorite because of the way they dice them!
- Black beans, drained
- Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Red Enchilada Sauce- I use canned although there are several great recipes out there for homemade
- Sour Cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
First preheat your oven to 400˚F. Then line a cookie sheet with foil for easy clean up. Choose a cookie sheet that is sized to the amount of people you are feeding.
Spread a layer of tortilla chips on the bottom of the cookie sheet in a shallow layer. Try to keep them in as close to a single layer as possible, but there will be some overlap.
Sprinkle eggs, black beans, and the green chilis over the top of the chips until they are covered then spread the grated cheese and bacon over the whole thing and place in the oven. You will bake the nachos around 8-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely over the top and the nachos are heated through.
Remove from the oven and generously drizzle with the enchilada sauce then top with sour cream, guacamole and salsa. Serve it up and enjoy!
These really are one of our favorites! You can make them year round, and whip them up in minutes. What’s not to love!? I hope you give them a try and let me know if you get creative with the toppings or come up with something else delicious to add to your creation. If you make them please let me know in the comments or tag me on Instagram @easyfamilyrecipes so I can see what you are cooking!
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Bacon & Egg Breakfast Nachos Recipe
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 6 eggs scrambled
- 4 slices of bacon crispy and crumbled
- 4 oz Diced green chilis
- 1 can Black beans drained (remove as much liquid as possible to avoid making the chips soggy)
- 8 oz Sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 can Red Enchilada Sauce-
- Sour Cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
- First preheat your oven to 400˚F. Then line a large cookie sheet with foil for easy clean up.
- Spread a layer of tortilla chips on the bottom of the cookie sheet in a shallow layer.
- Sprinkle eggs, black beans, and the green chilis over the top of the chips until they are covered then spread the grated cheese and bacon over the whole thing and place in the oven. You will bake the nachos around 8-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely over the top and the nachos are heated through.
- Remove from the oven and generously drizzle with the enchilada sauce then top with sour cream, guacamole and salsa. Serve it up immediately and enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)