The absolute best Pimento Cheese recipe is so simple to make at home! You can make this homemade pimento cheese into a sandwich, a dip, or serve with crackers and veggies. Any time I serve this, people just beg for the recipe. It is just that good!
Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe
Do you have any foods that you just thought were “soooooooo gross” growing up, but then you get to be an adult and you find out that this food is, in fact, is completely delicious? Pimento cheese is one of those foods for me.
I thought there was no way that the unnaturally neon orange cheese spread could be good, but it all changed when I lived in the deep south about 12 years ago. My friends insisted I had to try it, and so I did and I have never looked back. One of my foodie friends told me that the Palmetto brand pimento cheese was just the best, and it is seriously good. But I found that it is just as easy to make and even more delicious.
There may be one thing I like more than this pimento cheese recipe, and that is this very similar spicy pimento cheese recipe. If you like a little kick, I say 100% go for the jalapeno version, but if you are making for a crowd or have kids eating it (my son LOVES it and regularly requests grilled cheese sandwiches with it!) then go with this classic pimento cheese recipe.
What is Pimento Cheese?
So my inner kid still wonders… What the heck is this stuff and why is it neon orange?
Pimento cheese is just a combination of cheddar, cream cheese, mayo, spices, and the key ingredient, pimento peppers. Pimento peppers are a sweet round bright red pepper. The color of the pepper combined with the already orange cheddar cheese is where pimento cheese gets it’s signature color. Pimento peppers aren’t frequently found fresh but are sold jarred in most grocery stores. You can usually find them near the olives or in the specialty foods. Almost all recipes that use pimentos, including this one, use jarred, so you won’t have to worry about tracking down fresh ones.
How to serve Pimento Cheese
The great thing about this homemade pimento cheese recipe is that it can be served so many ways!
Pimento Cheese Dip
You can chill the pimento cheese and serve it right out of the dish as a dip. You can also spread it in a pie dish and bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes for a hot dip. You can serve pimento cheese dip with:
- pita chips
- tortilla chips
- veggies, especially celery and peppers
- toasted baguettes
Pimento Cheese Sandwich
One of the most classic ways to eat pimento cheese is in a sandwich. There are few types of sandwiches you can make:
- Traditional pimento cheese sandwich- grab some white, wheat or rye bread and put a nice thick layer in between two slices.
- Grilled pimento cheese sandwich- Grab some french bread and cut off two slices, put a nice thick layer of pimento cheese in the middle, then butter each side of the outside and grill each side on a griddle heated to medium high until it is golden brown. Serve hot!
- Meat & pimento cheese sandwich- Make a ham or turkey sandwich with meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and a spread of pimento cheese for a special treat.
Pimento Cheese Topping
Pimento cheese makes almost anything better tasting! I am always finding new things to top with it. These are a few of my current favorites:
- Grilled chicken breast
- Grilled chicken sandwich
- Garlic bread- Make garlic bread into garlic and cheese bread with a spread of pimento cheese
How to Make Homemade Pimento Cheese
This pimento cheese recipe is so simple! Follow along below for the pimento cheese recipe with my notes, tips and tricks below. If you just want the quick version you can scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card.
Pimento Cheese Ingredients
- Sharp cheddar cheese, grated – Make sure to get sharp or extra sharp cheddar for the best flavor. You will want to use yellow cheese so that you will get the signature color. Also, you can use pre-grated cheese or grate your own. Both work great in this recipe.
- Philadelphia cream cheese– Make sure the cream cheese is softened so that it combines well. If you don’t have time to let it sit out, you can microwave it for a few seconds to soften it up.
- Mayonnaise- Use real mayonnaise in this recipe for the best results. It won’t have the same taste without it!
- Chopped pimentos- Find these in your grocery store near the olives, in the vegetable section near the artichokes, or in the specialty food section. I use the ones that are already diced, but if you can only find whole, just dice it up yourself with a knife or food chopper.
- Garlic powder
- Dried onion flakes
Pimento Cheese Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. You can just dump them in, in any order.With an electric hand or stand mixer mix the cheese on low to combine and then on high for 1 minute. If you don’t have an electric mixer you can also combine by hand, but it takes a bit of elbow grease. Also if you hand mix, you will probably want to let it chill for awhile longer and then mix it up again to really get the flavors combined well.
- Place the cheese in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least two hours so the flavors can meld. This stuff will be good as soon as it is mixed but the garlic and onion flavor really distributes well when you let it sit a little bit. You can keep it in the fridge for up to a week, so you can make it in advance for a party or just snack on it all week long.
- Serve with crackers, chips, as a sandwich, or on veggies. Most importantly… Enjoy!
I really hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. There is really little better than whipping up a batch of this pimento cheese to have handy when friends come over or just to make my sandwiches more exciting at lunch. If you make this recipe and enjoy it, I would love to hear about it in the comments. I read every one! Or snap a pic and tag me on my food Instagram @easyfamilyrecipes. It makes me so over joyed to see others enjoying the recipes I share.
More Easy Dip Recipes
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz chopped pimentos drained
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer mix the cheese on low to combine and then on high for 1 minute.
- Place the cheese in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least two hours so the flavors can meld.
- Serve with crackers, chips, as a sandwich, or on veggies. Enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)