One of our favorite summertime activities is to hike as a family. We are from Utah and every time we go home for the summer we explore the mountains. There are so many amazing and kid friendly hikes in Utah. This list contains the BEST hikes for families in Northern Utah. My youngest does not like to go far so most of these are short but will keep their interest all the way up and down.
The BEST Kid Friendly Hikes in Northern Utah
We are from Northern UT and love exploring the mountains every chance we get. I don’t love camping so most of the time we hike around and come back to shower and sleep……I’m sure my kids would like to camp. There’s nothing like getting up in nature and letting the kids get dirty and find fun rocks and plants.
My kids love to carry their own camelback packs filled with water and treats for a morning or afternoon hike. We try to hike in the morning because we have found that most of the trails stay shaded and cool. I also let the kids bring a few of their favorite snacks to get them energized during the hike.
- Dog Lake– This beautiful hike is nestled in Big Cottonwood Canyon. This hike is moderate so older kids are advised, and the trail is about 4 miles round trip.
- Rocky Mouth Falls– This fun simple trail ends with a waterfall at the end. If you are adventurous, you can continue the trail by repelling up and down waterfalls…. we just hiked to the waterfall and back. This hike was 1 mile round trip and lots of fun for the kids.
- Lake Blanch– This trail is located just outside of SLC. You will find a waterfall and beautiful scenery along this hike. The total milage is 6.9 and the trail is moderate in difficulty.
- Corner Canyon– We loved this trail which is located in Draper. Along this trail you will find a beautiful mix of wildflowers. The total milage of this trail is 3.8 miles and moderate in difficulty.
- Pine Hollow Trail– This trail is located in Alpine. My kids loved this trail because of the streams and wildflowers you pass along the route. The total milage of this trail is 4.3 miles and moderate in difficulty.
- Adams Canyon– This trail is located in Layton. At the end of the trail you will come across a gorgeous waterfall. My kids said this is one of their favorite hikes. The total milage is 3.4 miles and is moderate in difficulty.
- Farmington Canyon– This trail is located in Farmington. Your kids will see waterfalls, climb on big rocks and see lots of wildflowers along their way. The total milage of this trail is 2.9 miles and is moderate in difficulty.
- Donut Falls– This trail is located in Salt Lake City. You will see a gorgeous waterfall along with many different flowers. This trail is great because there are different trails for every skill level from easy too hard. The total milage of this trail is 3 miles.
- Silver Lake– This trail is located in Salt Lake City. The great thing about this trail is it’s short but full of beauty. The total milage of this trail is 0.9 miles and is easy.
- Ensign Peak– This trail is located in Salt Lake City. The great thing about this hike is that you can see scenic views of Salt Lake City all along the way. The total milage of this trail is 0.8 miles and is perfect for any skill level.
I hope this sparks your interest in taking a fun scenic hike as a family. This is a great way to get outside and get your kids moving for the day.
If you have any more hiking suggestions for kids, please comment below I love to hear from my readers.