The second that airplane touches ground in Hawaii time seems to slow down. Hawaii is one of my all time favorite places to vacation. I truly love everything about it. I’ve compiled this list for you of family friendly activities in Oahu.
Some of the things we love about Hawaii is the weather, the ocean, the food, the scenery and of course the Aloha spirit. Nothing beats the love that is felt every time we visit. People in Hawaii truly love their islands.
Family Friendly Activities in Oahu
- Eating Hula Pie at Dukes– This is mouthwatering pie that is truly one of a kind. When my kids ate this pie they were literally licking their spoons when the pie was gone. Lets just say this pie is a mixture of macademia nut ice-cream and fudge…….. so good.
- Eating Malasada’s at Leonards– Malasada’s are a Hawaiian style doughnut and they are DELICIOUS! Fresh out of the oven these are an absolute must when visiting the island.
- Shaved Ice…. Just about everywhere you go. I will link two of our favorite places on the island to get them. Make sure you get the shaved ice with ice cream and top it with condensed milk. Island Vintage Shaved Ice, Matsumato’s Shaved Ice.
- Snorkeling in Tide Pools at Shark’s Cove– The BEST thing about this area is it is closed off from the waves. The kids are safe from undercurrents or waves washing them under. This area is filled with fish and sea life of all kinds. Rent your snorkel gear across the street and enjoy your search for Nemo. I would make sure you have a set of water shoes for your little one because it’s a little rocky in places.
- Ted’s Bakery– Another great location to get Malasada’s, homemade pie and local bakery favorites.
- Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck– Local shrimp grilled to perfection, this famous food truck is a must stop for a quick meal.
- Polynesian Cultural Center– I think this place tops my list of favorites while in Oahu. Learn about all the cultures of Tonga, Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, Aotearoa, and Hawaii. Play games, dance and sing as you learn about their beautiful cultures. Top of the day with amazing food at the Luau, Hula and Fire dancing. This place is a place you definitely don’t want to miss. If you book your tickets in advance they offer a 10 percent discount.
- Pipeline Beach– The most famous beach on the island for surfers. Enjoy an afternoon or morning watching surfers catch a wave and cheer them on as they succeed. The surf is rough so swimming is not the best option but watching the surfers is pretty amazing.
- Laniake Turtle Beach– This Beautiful beach is a natural feeding ground for sea turtles. You may catch them as they are lying on the beach or swimming along the shore.
- Pearl Harbor– Rated the number one visitors destination in Hawaii this memorial will not disappoint. This area is where World War II started. This memorial is build over the remains of the USS Arizona. Pearl Harbot Memorial is free for all visitors.
- Ko’olau Cliffs– Located on the rainiest part of the island these cliffs are mountains have been filmed in many movies including Jurassic Park. When it is super rainy you can catch a glimpse of waterfalls cascading down the mountain.
- Parasailing– This is probably a best suited activity for older kids but its a must try atleast once while you’re in Hawaii. This activity is a great way to get out and see the ocean high in the sky while attached to the boat. If you’re lucky enough you may even spot a dolphin on your journey.
- Shaka Guide– This app is by far the best purchase. Download and purchase the app. And it is like having your own tour guide take you around the whole island. It plays the music, directions, and so on right through your car. If you want to stop at a location the app knows you stopped and will resume directions once you are back in your car. The directions are so accurate and he gives you good pointers where to look and what to see. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. I also loved the music they played during the time the tour guide wasn’t talking because it got you right in the ALOHA spirit. The app is $4.99 so worth every penny. If you don’t have a rental car I would just rent one for the day and do this tour. That’s what we did.
I hope you find some great things on this list to do with your family. We love Hawaii so much and can’t wait to go back. Hawaii is very family friendly…. especially if you’re kids like sand and ocean water.
If you have any more fun activities or ideas please comment below.