One of my favorite lunches is chicken salad. Green Chile Chicken Salad is a fun twist on your “normal” chicken salad. This recipe is LOADED with flavors like green chilies, tender chicken, onion, and garlic. This salad is perfect for a quick summer night meal.
EASY Green Chile Chicken Salad
I truly love chicken salad. It makes for a perfect quick lunch at home or on-the-go. Chicken salad is also a perfect healthy snack. The best part is you can customize it with so many flavors so you can often get just what you are in the mood for. For example I created this Loaded Chicken Salad recipe when I wanted the yummy flavors of baked potatoes. And this greek chicken salad and ranch chicken salad were perfect for flavorful options when we did the Whole30 diet.
This Green Chile Chicken Salad is packed with all of your favorite Mexican flavors. This salad is loaded with green chilies, cumin, and garlic.
I like to pack my salad full of vegetables and stay a little on the lighter side with the dressing. You can adjust your ingredients to fit your liking.
How to Serve Green Chile Chicken Salad
This salad is so good you can eat it on its own but here are a few of my favorite serving suggestions. But if you feel it necessary to eat the salad with a fork out of the container go right ahead.
- Corn Bread
- Chips and Salsa
Tips for Making Green Chile Chicken Salad
This recipe is super quick and easy to make. I will walk you I am going to run through an overview here and add some notes that might be helpful for you while making the dish. Make sure to get the FULL recipe at the bottom.
To Prepare the Chicken:
- Lay the chicken flat in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with green chilis, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook on low for 3 hours.
- At the 3 hour mark, shred the chicken inside of the slow cooker and mix with the juices. Lay the cream cheese on top, cover and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and stir in the cream cheese.
To Assemble the Salad:
- Arrange the chopped romaine in a big bowl, or 6 individual bowls. Layer on top the chicken, pico de Gallo, corn, cheese, and black beans.
- Place the sour cream and guacamole over top, garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
FAQ’s for Green Chile Chicken Salad
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten free. Please check all of your ingredients before using then in the recipe.
How do I store leftovers for Green Chile Chicken Salad?
This Green Chile Chicken Salad will keep in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 3-4 days and works well for meal prep. I would recommend storing everything in its own container until serving. If you are making this for a brunch or potluck, I recommend making it the night before. This will give the flavors some time to marinate into the chicken.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. I like to have this in my fridge for quick lunches during the week.
If you do get a chance to make it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipesso that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up or on the button below.
Other Quick Salad Recipes
Hungry for more family-friendly recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club to get new family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Green Chile Chicken Salad
For the Chicken:
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 9 oz chopped green chiles canned
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese
For the Salad
- 3 romaine hearts chopped
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn drained or thawed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 6 tbsp guacamole
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
To prepare the chicken:
- Lay the chicken breasts flat on the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with the green chilis, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cover and set to low for 3 hours.
- At the 3 hour mark, open the lid and use forks to shred the chicken and mix it with the juices. Then lay the cream cheese on top of the shredded chicken and replace the lid and continue to cook on low for 30 more minutes.
- When the timer sounds remove the lid and mix the cream cheese into the chicken.
To assemble salad:
- Arrange the chopped romaine in one big bowl, or 6 individual bowls. Layer on top the chicken, pico de gallo, black beans, corn, and cheese.
- Dollop the sour cream and guacamole over the top, then garnish with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)