As the snow falls and winter approaches, leaving the house is not always an option. You can find yourself and the kids getting a little stir crazy. What better cure than a good winter themed movie. Below you will find a list of great winter movies for the whole family to enjoy. Some are rated G or PG. Enjoy your movie nights or days….
Family Movies for a Snowy Day
- Frozen– Follow Elsa, Anna, Sven and Olaf on a journey to find happiness despite differences and trials. This film is Rated PG.
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins– A successful businessman inherits 6 penguins all with different personalities. Will these penguins behave in his high class NYC apartment….?? This film is rated PG.
- Eight Below– Watch this tale of an everlasting friendship between sled dogs and their owner. This film is rated PG.
- Rise of the Guardians– The Boogeyman tries to spread darkness to all the kids. Jack Frost and his friends work to save the kids from scary dreams. This film is rated PG.
- Snow Dogs– Eight sled dogs try to get a dog hater Ted to love them. Ted is out of his element in every way since he came up to Alaska from Florida. This film is rated PG.
- Jack Frost– After the death of his father, a young boy is befriended by a snowman. This snowman resembles his father in so many ways. This film is rated PG.
- The Chronicles of Narnia– Children discover a charming land once inhabited by giants, fauns, dwarfs, and talking beasts. This world has been turned into a never ending winter by a Witch. This film is rated PG.
- Happy Feet– Unlike the other penguins talent Mumble’s is dancing. He faces many challenges in the fact he cannot sing. Follow him on his journey to try and fit in. This film is rated PG.
- Ice Age– Three friends go on an adventure to return a baby to the Human tribe. This film is rated PG.
- March of the Penguins– This documentary follows penguins in their heroic voyage to mate. Film makers spent more than a year capturing this incredible journey. This film is rated G.
- The First Snow of Winter– An adorable animated tale teaches us about friendship and trust. This film is rated G.
- To The Arctic– This journey takes you into the lives of a mother polar bear and her two cubs. Follow her as she struggles and succeeds in the Arctic. This film is rated G.
- Ice Princess– A misfit teen longs to become a world class figure skater. Does she fulfill her lifelong dream?? This film is rated G.
- Miracle– If you love Hockey this film is for you. Based on a true story about the 1980 United States Hockey Team. This film is rated PG.
- Cool Runnings– Four Jamaican athletes struggle to compete as Bobsledders in the Winter Olympics. Watch this extraordinary journey as a team with no resources or clue about winter sports compete as a bobsled team. This film is rated PG.
- Harry Potter Series– Go on a magical journey with Harry Potter as he attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This film is rated PG-13.
- Antarctica: A Year on Ice– Watch this year on ice documentary as people (scientists, technicians, and craftsmen) are scattered throughout and isolated from the world. They endure hardships this continent offers but they also capture the beauty. This film is rated PG.
- Snowtime! While breaks from school can be boring the kids in this small village decide to have a massive snowball fight. Unfortunately, this simple snowball fight turns into much more. This film is rated PG.
My kids and I are definitely going to start going through this list ASAP. We are expecting a big snowstorm in a few days, so if school is cancelled we will be snuggled up on the couch watching movies together. If you have any more Winter movies please comment below and I will add them to this list.