Disney is one of our favorite places to go as a family. I love seeing movies come to life through the eyes of my children when they ride the rides. Last time we went I told my kids to make a list of their top 10 rides at Disney World. Here you will find the list of the BEST rides for school aged kids and why they liked them.
Rides at Disney World for School Aged Kids
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad– This has been my little girls favorite ride ever since she has been tall enough to ride it. She loves this ride because its the craziest ride in the wilderness…. j/k but she loves all the twist and turns this ride offers. The best place to sit on this ride is definitely the back per my daughter. My little boy says he loves this ride because it has big drops and it’s just cool. You can fast pass this ride and it’s definitely worth a fast pass. So climb aboard the big train and enjoy a ride through the Wild West.
- Rock n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith– My little girl was a little nervous to ride but once she did she wanted to go over and over. This ride takes place in a stretch limousine. The thrill of the ride starts from the very beginning, and you even go upside down a few times. The front is the place to be on this ride. My little girl says she loves this ride because you don’t even know you are going upside down and it goes really fast. You can fast pass this ride and this one is worth saving your fast pass for. Enjoy listening to Aerosmith as you glide down the track.
- Avatar Flight of Passage– This ride blew me away with how incredible it was. I was a little nervous because I tend to get motion sick but that is not the case with this one. This ride is a motion censored ride but you feel like you are an actual Avatar flying on a Banshee. Both of my kids could not stop talking about this ride when they got off. They loved “flying” on their own Banshee through the beautiful World of Avatar. This ride is like non other and you have to experience it for yourself. My kids said they loved this ride because they felt like they were actually riding/flying a Banshee, you could even feel it breathing on your legs. You can fast pass this ride, and it’s worth it especially because this ride is so new the wait is never short.
- Splash Mountain– I have loved this ride ever since I was young. It is entertaining and thrilling from start to finish. Be prepared because you’re sure to get wet on this ride. We wore our rain jackets on this ride, and for the most part they kept us dry. My kids say this ride was fun because it has big drops and it can cool you off on a really hot day. This ride offers fast passes and its definitely a time saver to have them. Jump on board a wooden log and find yourself zooming down Splash Mountain.
- Space Mountain– This ride takes place in pure darkness and you never know whats around the corner. This thrill ride coaster will have you feel like you just blasted off into outer space. My kids like this ride because it has sudden drops and its dark and you don’t see where you are going. My little guy says he feels like he was actually in a spaceship. Climb aboard the space racer and take off into the universe.
- Tower of Terror– This elevator is broken and the only way to get out is down to the twilight zone. Every time I ride the Tower of Tower I find myself giggling because it is just that fun. This ride is a drop thrill ride that takes place all while you are sitting in an oversized elevator. My little girl loves this ride because the drop is so exciting and then you get to do it over and over. The video scared her a little but everything else she loved. You can fast pass this ride and its worth it.
- Expedition Everest– This fast thrill seeking roller coaster has a big twist in the middle… does it go forwards or backwards….. I guess you will just have to ride it to find out. My kids love this outdoor roller coaster because in the middle of it you go backwards and you can see the whole park when you are up on top of the hill before you go down. You can fast pass this ride and it’s worth reserving a spot. Step on board the train to take a journey through Mt. Everest.
- Slinky Dog– This is one of the rides in the new Toy Story Land. This fun roller coaster is sure to get laughs and screams out of your kids. The Slinky Dog is a smooth roller coaster that races through the land of toys. My kids said they loved this ride because it is a roller coaster that is not scary, and they also liked the fact that you could see all of Toy Story Land. I would fast pass this ride since it is a new ride wait times are a bit long.
- Soarin’– Have you ever wanted to take a flight around the world? Let your feet dangle and feel the air through your hair as you fly around the world in this simulator ride. This ride gives you the feeling like you are flying through all the places around the world that we long to go see. You will experience the smell and sights of theses places. My kids love this ride because it feels like you are actually flying. My daughter recommends the top row because then you don’t see feet dangling above you. You can fast pass this ride so I would take advantage of it because wait times can be a bit long.
- Frozen Ever After– Don’t shy away from this ride because it seems like it could be for younger kids. This ride is a lot like Pirates, as you climb aboard a boat and take a ride down smooth and rough waters. You may find yourself getting a little wet but going on a journey with Elsa is always fun. My kids like this ride because you go down backwards in your boat and there was fun drops along the way.
- Pirates of the Caribbean– Climb aboard the pirate boat and begin your voyage to find Jack Sparrow. But first you will find yourself floating through the waters of a battle ship and enjoying a mild drop along the way. My kids love this ride because there are a few sudden drops and its fun seeing all the pirates because they look so real. You can fast pass this ride but the wait is usually short so I would save your fast pass for something else.
- Kilimanjaro Safari Ride– If your children like animals this is the ride for them. Once aboard the oversized safari vehicle you will begin your voyage to the safari. The great thing about this journey is the animals are so close and can even come up to your vehicle. The dangerous animals are of course behind fences but the animals that are friendly are out in the safari roaming free. My kids loved this ride because they were able to see so many animals in their natural habitats.
Something I found super helpful while waiting in lines with my kids is a new app Disney has released. The app is called Play Disney. This app will track where you are in the park. While you are waiting in line for the ride, they change the games to go along with which ride you are in. It is fun for the kids to look around and notice things while they are in line. Some of the games have you search for items in line or play different games with members of your family. I highly recommend downloading this app before you arrive.
I hope you find these ideas for rides helpful. I loved the fact that this post was inspired by my kids opinions. My kids still talk about these rides and want to look at pictures from our trip. They keep talking about the next time we get to visit. If you have any suggestions please comment below.
Leave a Comment